User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Good trip

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just got back from a trip to see the rents up in PA. Other than the unbearble humidity, it was a great trip. I found two places that carry cps, and they were a find. I went to one water garden place, and they had huge white trumpets, s. purpea, nepenthes and a plant called a parrot plant. I picked up a one gallon size white trumpet for $8. All my plants were the same amount. I picked up a drosea (dew threads, someone gimmie the right name for this one), a parrot plant (this looks like a purple cobra lilly, but isn't, it lies flat almost on the ground), and two nepenthes, altho I don't know the exact genus for them (it's at home). Anywho, it was a lot of fun, and I called another nursery and they had nepenthes alata, and I picked one of those up for $13.00, with four inch pitchers. Really a large one in my experience. I think it is planted in peat and that styrofoam mix, but I could be wrong. It was a great day because noone had the common cps.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like your collection is growing in leaps and bounds (as is typical with a CP addict.)

The "dew threads" you mention sounds like d. filiformis...called the threadleaf sundew (they are a temperate species). And as someone else already mentioned the parrot plant is s. psittacina. Definitely an oddity compared to other sarracenia though its a little similar to s. purpurea in its recumbent position.

Seems you got some good finds on your trip. Good for you.

Suzanne
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW. Great haul! Sounds like the "styrophome" is most likely perlite or vercumulite (sp?)...
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, the parrot plant was a surprise. The place had them in up to 5 gal containers, and they were rather large. I have to see what the care for them are, although I cannot imagine them being too much different from the s. purpea. They were all growing in direct PA sun and humidity and looked not to be too tended to. I asked the one employee, and they said they were just "winging it". I told them they were doing a great job and to keep it up because I was for sure to come back. I wanted to buy a 1 gal s. purpea, but they wanted four times what I paid for the others, I didn't really get that.