Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: And the winner is....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey buckeye,

Forget the biases, the real motivating factor in media is SALES. The most sensational stories, the most tragic and the most lurid stories are the ones that sell best and garner the highest ratings. Stories of the good things that happen just don't sell.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The media is comprised of different owners having biases and agendas. I'm sure everyone has their favorite sources of news as well. Therefore, there is competition between media "outlets". One network would be more than happy to report bad news about other competitors and the large corporations they own-but most likely never expose its own shortcomings. Bad news "sensationalism" sells. Positive things are used as filler when they run out of "shockers". Do not forget the persuasive powers of our government
    in using the media. Cases have to be made and heard by the American people before they can "justify" how they squander our tax dollars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once you allow people to indulge in so much comsumerism you can never get dull, boring, unsexy things like the needs of education, health care, etc to matter again. [/QUOTE]
    Who is the "You" that "allows" me to indulge in consumerism? The last time I read our Constitution I do not need the permission of "you" to do what I want. By the way, who gave you permission to go out and spend your money on a completely unnecessary item such as a carniverous plant? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Hi Buckeye,

So its cool that Arrrnold only admires Hitler's rise to power in Germany? He likes that Hitler built a private army of thugs; that Hitler staged a coup; that he was a convicted terrorist/trader/criminal; that he used the rich right wing in Germany to fund his little genicidal Nazi Party; that he bullied, beat the heads in, tortured and killed members of the opposition parties and when he was finally appointed Chancellor instantly destroyed democracy. Yeah, we should all admire his rise to power.
    There is no way a good person can view Hitler from any angle and find ANYTHING good in his actions. To remove Hitler from the CONTEXT of HOW he obtained power and to just get excited over the fact that a thug was able to get power is the kind of lunacy that breeds a Hitler. Admiring Hitler's rise to power is like admiring the technique of a serial killer -- as that is all Hitler was, a serial killer with the power of a State. Is it ok to admire how Jeffrey Dalmer cut up his human victims? Nothing morally wrong in that? Ignore the ends and love the means?
    Arrnold admiring Hitler's rise to power is actually worse than admiring his use of that power. The way he rose to power foreshadowed how he would use power. There is no way an intelligent and moral person can admire anything about Hitler. When someone says they do it is a red flag revealing dangerous, unexpressed thoughts and feelings.
    The author of the book was the guy who directed Arrnold's body building movie in the 1970's. he had Arrnold on tape saying all these wako things about Hitler. Arrrnold bought the tapes and paid the guy a million dollars. He needed to clean up his skeletons.
    I didn't say the school funding was going to the wasteful Hummer crowd. I said that they were not taxed enough so that too little money was in the public arena and too much was in the private arena. Having a society that works is expensive and must be taxed to be funded. If you want to live in a 1850's frontier town with Reagan and Bush be my quest. I have no wish to return to ugly, racist, violent, stupid frontier rugged individualist America. We have too much money in the private sector and do not fund the public sector anymore. As long as one kid can't get to college or one guy is homeless or as long as any social problem remains it is wicked to justify the selfish indulgence of useless luxury. This country did not do that from the 1930's to the 1970's. It began in the 80's as the Repubs brought back the long discredited siren song that selfish greed is good.
    I would have a higher regard for the "success" of the successful is I did not see that most make their "success" by lying, cheating and stealing. I do not know one wealthy individual who did not cheat to get there. Yeah, hard work!
    Its not the debt that 87 billion will cause; its that the Repubs always SCREAM debt and taxes when any social program is mentioned but when it comes to the greatest waste of all -- as you admitted -- war, the Repubs could care less about debt and taxes. Am I the only one who finds this to be hypocritical?
    Bin Laden is a threat to this country and the war in Afganistan (now totally overshadowed by Iraq) is justified. Saddam was not a threat to us or anyone anymore and this war is for anything but our safety. Like Vietnam, it is PURELY a political and financial war to serve the interests of those in power. We were sold a shell game and far too many of us bought into it. The blame rests solely with the Repubs.
    The California recall was NOT the result of an innocent desire to recall the governor. It was a political battle plan hatched and FUNDED by right wing Repubs to take advantage of a perceived opportunity. It was the height of political cynicism and politics as usual. Had the looney right not bank rolled it it would have never happened. California needs to drop all its "people" iniated propositions, raise property taxes to real market levels and return to what it once was before right wing rich politicans played on anger and greed to get idiots to hate taxes while imagining a society worth living in can run without them.
    The undercover CIA woman was exposed to an archly conservative columnist -- Robert Novak. He is a mouthpiece in the mainstream media for all the Repub agendas and fantasies. The phantom liberal media had nothing to do with it. The whole sordid episode was hatched and cooked within the right wing media loop. They have no one to blame but their own unpatriotic selves for what is now happening and for endangering the life of a woman working to find WMD in this world. But I guess someone needs to do a "Lewitsky" for the right wing attack dogs to run chomping at the bit over. Unlike with a "Lewitsky" -- which is not a crime -- they are defending this actual crime. And that says it all.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, another great rant from biggun! Again, I agree with most of it. I just wanted to point out that we shouldn't get nasty or personal with anyone here. Yes, the California recall JUST happened, and the emotions are fresh and vivid. However, everyone here is just a CP enthusiast, and as part of that community, I'd hate to see it torn apart by political differences. So let's keep it friendly!!!

The only quibble I have with your piece, biggun, is that there are a few wealthy people out there who made it with hard work. There's nothing wrong with getting rich. The profit motive is needed to excel in whatever it is we do, and it shows in the standard of living of countries with at least marginally free markets. The problem arises when people get the mentality that they never have enough, and they lose their social concerns. It is a tragedy that in California we don't have enough money for schools, infrastructure, and other programs for people who really need it when there's so much money in the private sector.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My thought is the people wanted the Big Bag of Air out (Greg Davis) so they did a recall. People voted for Arnold - he won. There are unhappy ppl still but tuff luck. Most of the people wanted Arnald and they got him. If he sucks, at the end of his term the people will decide his future. Besides all of this pre-talk it is a bunch of bs (on the news) - nothings happened. Anything that happens now till Mr. Arnold moves in is Mr. Big Bag of Airs fault. That is all.

Travis
    \"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.\"
    -- Oscar Wilde

http://www.nasarracenia.org/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no way a good person can view Hitler from any angle and find ANYTHING good in his actions. To remove Hitler from the CONTEXT of HOW he obtained power and to just get excited over the fact that a thug was able to get power is the kind of lunacy that breeds a Hitler. Admiring Hitler's rise to power is like admiring the technique of a serial killer -- as that is all Hitler was, a serial killer with the power of a State. Is it ok to admire how Jeffrey Dalmer cut up his human victims? Nothing morally wrong in that? Ignore the ends and love the means?
    [/QUOTE]

Hitler was un-doubtedly the greatest military mind of his century. His rise to power isn't what set him aside as a potent leader, as we have seen recently any half-wit with some star power can get elected. What he did well as turn a country with no economy and massive inflation to a juggernaut in three years. He played every other world leader like a Violin, and orchestrated one of the most effective military campaigns in the history of the western world.

Please don't take offense, but I think half of your babble is commie non-sense. We as a nation NEED 2 parties. Itís a sort of checks and balances. BOTH parties have good views; BOTH parties are low down dirty scoundrels, BOTH parties lie and cheat their way into office.

I can't go back to get your quote on the war, but I assume you are making a statement about the war in Iraq. Let me tell you, I would MUCH rather fight the war on terrorisms in the streets of Iraq, then on the streets of New York. Lets face it, as anti-bush as you want to be, Sadam was an EVIL man. If he got his hands on a nuke there is no doubt in anyones mind, he would use it. Do you actually read about half the stuff he and his family did to his OWN PEOPLE? You have to be kidding me when you say we shouldn't be there. "The only thing needed for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing" Add to the fact that I sure as #### donít want to pay 5 bucks for a gallon of gas, and I say we had all the reason in the world.

You anti-repubs always put a smile on my face. You will distort and twist anything around to put down a repub. You talk about Arnies grab@@@ but Clintons actions where none of our business (at least the Dems say it isn't) Please, give me a break.

I really didn't want to get into a political discussion but I couldn't resist.

Casper

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi again Biggun.

First off the NY times had to issue a retraction on their article about Arnold and his quote about Hitler. This is what the times quoted: "I admire [Hitler] for being such a good public speaker and for what he did with it." But in the transcript of outtakes from Pumping Iron Arnold actually said: "I didn't admire [Hitler] for what he did with it." The man who produced the film, George Butler, gave the quote to the Times and after the story ran Butler admitted to the times that he misquoted Arnold. It's amazing to me that a large paper like the Times would take a quote from Butler and print it without checking the actual transcript of Arnold's comments. Also the rest of mainstream media took the quote from the Times and ran it without first checking the facts. They knew the blow it would cause to Arnold, so they printed it whether they knew it was true or not!

Here's the full quote the Times later printed (of course their liberal agenda was complete, they had already put the doubt into readers minds! ):

"In many ways I admired people ó It depends for what. I admired Hitler for instance because he came from being a little man with almost no formal education, up to power. And I admire him for being such a good public speaker and for his way of getting to the people and so on.

"But I didn't admire him for what he did with it. It is very hard to say who I admired and who are my heroes. And I admired basically people who are powerful people, like Kennedy. Who people listen to and just wait until he comes out with telling them what to do. People like that I admire a lot."

The author of the book was the guy who directed Arrnold's body building movie in the 1970's. he had Arrnold on tape saying all these wako things about Hitler. Arrrnold bought the tapes and paid the guy a million dollars. He needed to clean up his skeletons.[/QUOTE]

George Butler was who wanted to write the book about Arnold. He's also, like i said above, the man who directed the film. I did some research on the internet and no where did i see anything about Arnold paying Butler for the tapes. If Arnold did, he did it because he knew Butler was going to out right lie and misquote him. Would you want a book printed about you full of lies??

I didn't say the school funding was going to the wasteful Hummer crowd. I said that they were not taxed enough so that too little money was in the public arena and too much was in the private arena.[/QUOTE]

The "Hummer" crowd isn't taxed enough?? The top 5% pay 56.5% of the Fed. income tax!! 5% percent of the US population pay almost 60% of the tax!!!!!! The top 50% pay 96.1 % of income tax!!!! ( top 50% means a houshold income of $26,000+) Which means the bottom 50% ($26,000 and down) pay less than 4% of the taxes!!!! Do you suggest that only the wealthier people should pay taxes while the rest of us just ride along??

I would have a higher regard for the "success" of the successful is I did not see that most make their "success" by lying, cheating and stealing. I do not know one wealthy individual who did not cheat to get there. Yeah, hard work!
    [/QUOTE]

I'm not even going to get into this. This is completely untrue.

Its not the debt that 87 billion will cause; its that the Repubs always SCREAM debt and taxes when any social program is mentioned but when it comes to the greatest waste of all -- as you admitted -- war, the Repubs could care less about debt and taxes. Am I the only one who finds this to be hypocritical?[/QUOTE]

Once again, unfortunately war is needed. It protects our freedoms and rights from people who would like to take them away from us. Most often republicans are against some social programs because they are a waste. And no it's not hypocritical. Sometimes gov't spending needs cut (like by cutting some worthless social programs), but protecting our nation is not a time to cut spending.

Saddam was not a threat to us or anyone anymore and this war is for anything but our safety. Like Vietnam, it is PURELY a political and financial war to serve the interests of those in power. We were sold a shell game and far too many of us bought into it. The blame rests solely with the Repubs.
    [/QUOTE]

I could not disagree with you more. Saddam was a dangerous leader. He killed people who didn't agree with him. He had WMD, we just haven't found them yet. Even if we never find them, they were there. We just gave him way too much time to hide/sell them while we messed around with the UN. Isn't Saddam just like Hitler?? They're both very evil, hateful murderers. Would you have preferred the US to have left Hitler in power of Germany??

-buckeye

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast