What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

And the winner is....

• Thread starter Cynic81
  • Start date

Cynic81

Frakkin Toaster
(Drumroll)

It's Arnold, according to CNN's projections. He's ahead with about 1,084,922 votes, compared to bustamante's 671,462 with 19% of all precints reporting in.

Of course, with only 19% reporting there is still some wiggle room, particularly on the Recall decision, with is divided by a mere 10% between yes and no (55% yes, 45% no). It could be Indecision 2000 all over again as far as the media's projections go.

But if Arnold is governor, then may God have mercy on us all...

Well I've been saying all along that Arnold would win that vote, never mind the fact the he has never spent 5 minutes in any public office. But he is such a good guy in his movies, that means he will be a good governor right? *snort* and now you know why I dont believe in the political system anymore.. What a **** joke.. A bunch of whining crybabies scream foul cause they didnt win the office in the first place, twist enough arms of special interest groups, get everybody into a frenzy and while nobody is looking they sneak in a puppet that they can bend to their whims. I cannot believe they are wasting all this money and time on this BS!!! I weep for the state of California. Its so sad that the average voter is so naive that they would even CONSIDER Arnold, let alone actually vote for him. I see dark times on the horizon.
sad.gif

Steve

Politicians never really need to know anything... they all have a bunch of lackeys who make decisions for them. Take for example Bush...
wow.gif

I agree with both of you guys. Dark times are definitely ahead, happy days are gone again. Most people would rather watch football, go shopping, or entertain themselves than vote anyway. Very few can see through any type of propaganda. Free speech is corroding as well. Everyone is so PC. Most people who vote are well over thirty years old. People buy into so much bull. I always try to encourage people to vote and give a d@mn. Back in the days of the Romans whenever the government wanted to sneak in some legislation they would have sporting events so the people would be distracted,disinterested and thoroughly entertained. Well it looks like Superbowl time again.

Give me a break guys...Arnold has never been a polititian and more importantly he has never been a lawyer...therefore he is probably (requirement #1) honest.  He is obviously intelligent and is certainly not going to be intimidated by special interests.
California will do just fine under his leadership and his well balanced liberal/conservative stance could possibly "wake up" some of the PC liberals.
Arnold will do just fine and the United States, as a whole, will become a stronger and more responsive nation with Bush at the helm.  I would rather we be fighting the Islamic Fundamentilists in the streets of Bagdad than the streets of New York.  Remember, you heard it here first.
smile.gif

I hate politics! Darn it Arnold won!
mad.gif
Is there going to be a T-4? What, I have to wait another 10 years? great!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Give me a break guys...Arnold has never been a polititian and more importantly he has never been a lawyer...therefore he is probably (requirement #1) honest.  He is obviously intelligent and is certainly not going to be intimidated by special interests.
California will do just fine under his leadership and his well balanced liberal/conservative stance could possibly "wake up" some of the PC liberals.
Arnold will do just fine and the United States, as a whole, will become a stronger and more responsive nation with Bush at the helm.  I would rather we be fighting the Islamic Fundamentilists in the streets of Bagdad than the streets of New York.  Remember, you heard it here first.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Well said Lauderdale.  
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Dark times are definitely ahead, happy days are gone again.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I'm not from California but i have heard what has been going on there and i would hardly call those times "happy days."  California has as much debt as the other 49 states combined and what about the shady electrical deal that caused the rolling blackouts?  Arnold won by half a million because people believe he will do a better job than Davis, which shouldn't be too hard to do.  The democrats shot themselves in the foot once again.  They started their typical late mud slinging scheme with the media’s help.  They can say anything (even a lie) and the media will report it as fact.  Just like sexually allegations against Arnold.  (Wasn't it the democrats who said clinton's personal life doesn't matter and yet they bring up arnold's?)  They were so desperate to win that they make themselves look whinny, and foolish.  I think it's possible for a republican to win calilifornia in a pres. election now.

-buckeye

Arnold pretty much bought his way into office. I heard that he spent around 12 million dollars of his own money on the campaign, I live right on the border of California in Nevada so I guess I won't be affected by it.

As long as it was his 12 million and not the tax payers I don't have a problem with it
biggrin.gif
!

I have ot agree with a earlyer post. I could hardly call gray davis' time "good times" But then again I'm still learning about econimics in school
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
I think we'll do just fine with arnold. he is a smart man
smile.gif

I'm a bit disturbed that one of his main campaign issues was repealing the car tax. That's just the kind of "increase conspicuous consumption of resources, reduce tax revenue" popular stances that we need our politicians to take these days.

I like Ahnold, and his wife is (i believe) a Kennedy (whatever that may mean), but the days of "popular" politicians need to end if anyone is ever to give the kind of political leadership necessary to get the US out of the hole it's in.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I like Ahnold, and his wife is (i believe) a Kennedy (whatever that may mean)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

You're right D muscipula. Her mother was a Kennedy.

-buckeye

I think he'll do better than Davis...I really don't care what he does as long as he gives schools more money...

I bet if you dug deep into his platform (The whole 1/2 page woohoo&#33
wink.gif
You'd find he promises sequels for every one of his movies!(boohoo)

tounge.gif

Dark times indeed...

Hi,

How could anyone think that celebrities lie less than lawyers!? Their whole life is built on lying. Arnold's father was a Nazi in Austria long before Hitler (an Austrian) marched across the border and claimed Austria. Arnold's statements about admiring Hitler appear in court documents concerning the million dollar fee he paid to a writer not to do a book. You don't think Arnold played grab *** on movie sets? Well, how about buying some Florida swamp land.
I agree dark days are ahead. Did anyone see Nightline tonight and its report on the state of our schools? It was shocking. We are literally starving the essentials of life and putting a BASIC good life out of reach for more and more people so a relative few can enjoy indulging themselves in Hummers, mansions and luxury. We have taken so much money out of the public good and so celebrated the lone selfish "successful" individual that we cannot even see real priorities anymore. The whole thing is hopelessly ruined. Once you allow people to indulge in so much comsumerism you can never get dull, boring, unsexy things like the needs of education, health care, etc to matter again. The wealthy kids can always get good schools and the rest will be better drones if left uneducated. Just pass alot of unfunded accountability laws so the numbers look good for the media and parents. It's a sad sad joke.
I am always amused by Republicans and money. They never bat an eyelash about asking for, going into debt for and spending money for war, war, war. 87 billion will just appear and it has to according to them. Now, whenever a social program is involved, the Republicans instantly proclaim there is no money; higher taxes will be needed and it is all a waste. Well, what is war but waste? It's funny how people always find tons of money for what they actually care about -- as opposed to just bs about.
I also love Republicans and government. Since that old fool Reagan, the Repubs have trained the American people that the American govn't is horrible -- how patriotic of them!. That it is wasteful. That is does no good. That politicians are horrible liars. Except while serving up all this ideological bs, the Repubs have been busy using ever trick, lie and shortcut they could to win as many elected offices as they could. I have to ask, aren't their actions fundamentally a big fat lie? Why are they trying to be elected to something they say is horrible and why are they becoming politicians when all politicians are liars? Bait and switch shell game -- that's why!At least Democrats honestly believe gov't is good. What level of cynicism does it reveal in Repubs when they crave at any cost winning elections while all the time damning our gov't? The duplicity is damning here and no one ever calls them on it.
The country is living beyond its means and its not because of taxes -- California has insanely low property taxes which is California's whole problem. We have trained ourselves to be nothing but consumers. We value nothing but the market and marketing. Reagan's siren song of unregulated capitalism and the perfection of the market as a means to both explain and give value to EVERYTHING in life has led to the moral corruption of the whole country. Nothing has meaning anymore but money and what it sells and can buy. As a country we no longer care about the unsexy essentials as they take our money and give us no fun, no instant gratification, no bang for our buck -- they just built a once great nation. We are allowing our real assets to die so we can drive Hummers and play 24/7. Their is nothing more morally corosive than marketing as the meaning of life and that is what we have. We don't even know what is real anymore and the fault lies totally with the Republicans. They have ruined this country and bamboozled the people with easy answers and subtle appeals to dumb anger and hate.
I think the Democrats whimped out. They should have dumped Davis and gotten one of their real players elected. Once again, they played it safe and nice and the conniving Repubs ran all over them with their unchecked willingless to do anything to win, win, win (in a job and function they campaign on as being horrible&#33
wink.gif

Oh, well, I guess they can now expose some more CIA operatives by using all their buds in the right wing Bush loving major media. I have news for ya, the media has not been liberal since the 1970's. They really are patriots. Now we can thank them for giving us another Vietnam too.

Bobby

Wow! Nice rant biggun110!!! I love a good rant, especially when I agree with it!

Anyway, my friend came up with a good slogan for Gov Arnold:
"Schwarzenegger: Groping for answers"

Capslock

What I meant to those who differed, was I am very down on Republicans -thats why dark days are ahead. I used to vote Republican consistently. I blame unwise stewardship of the economy,our civil liberties, etc. on Republicans. I would most definitely vote for Democrats because at least they think(debate things). What I mean here is if you ever watch C-span and see the voting process, you will notice more Democrats at least voting different from their party. Republicans are puppets(sorry for the inflammatory comment) just watch C-span and see their solidarity in voting one way. Democrats debate issues more often and divide on issues, which is healthy- the "yays and nays have it".

I love this!  It's all the repubs fault!  It's all the dems fault!  Sheesh.  Guys, the fault does not lie solely with any one group.  That's just too neat.  Both parties have some good, valid points.  Both parties also have some raving bs.  Let's not be so quick to segragate people by ideologies....that's how anger and hatred are justified.  Why don't we instead sit down and debate in a friendly manner without anyone getting upset when their argument is countered.  Just an idea...

Anyhow, Capslock,  That is one really funny slogan!  LOL
New flash....the girls are full of it, in my oppinion.  Arnold was a big movie star, and they were star struck.  Oh, well....maybe I'm just jaded....
rolleyes.gif

I expect to hear about "Terminate the Terminator!" bumper stickers showing up on cars as the next recall campaigne starts up in a few months. But don't worry, He'll be back. It's just way too easy, I may have to become a political cartoonist, so much material!!!!!
wink.gif

I just wanted to make a comment about the car tax repeal.

Our previous Virginia governor played that card too to get voted into office. Everybody thought that was wonderful! Money back in their pockets! And yup he won the election riding on that platform. I just laughed--fools!

Nobody seemed to wonder how the state would fund the projects and departments being supported by the car tax revenue. How could anyone think the state would just go without those millions of dollars that was depended upon?? DUH! So...all that happened was they raised taxes in other areas to make up for the loss...property taxes have soared.

Not to mention the fact, that it was kept pretty low profile that the tax repeal wasn't going to be immediate--it was to be reduced over a number of years. (You didn't see that mentioned on the TV campaign ads). Quite frankly, I haven't noticed any extra money in my pocket. The tax is down a few dollars each year perhaps, but car taxes reduce every year anyway as your car devalues. So its been no boon of money for me. I haven't really noticed any grand reduction--I'm still paying car taxes. Funny isn't it, since Virginia had the "car tax repealed" years ago! Hmmmmm.
mad.gif

Unfortunately our current Governor Warner inherited a financial mess left over from the last governor and is now having to make severe budget cuts to get Virginia back into the black. People may not like it but he's doing what has to be done to get the state into recovery. I think he's doing a great job.

You can't wipe away any tax without finding a way to REPLACE those funds...usually by means of a new tax or increasing existing taxes.

My only hope for CA is that Arnold is a good governor because he isn't a career politician. Maybe that will be a good factor but only time will tell. He will have to prove himself.

Suzanne

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Arnold's statements about admiring Hitler appear in court documents concerning the million dollar fee he paid to a writer not to do a book.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Hi biggun,

Arnold admired Hitler's rise to power in Germany, not his beliefs. I've never heard that Arnold paid money to an author so he wouldn't write a book.  If he did, he did it only to prevent his statement from being taken out of context and interpreted wrong.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">We are literally starving the essentials of life and putting a BASIC good life out of reach for more and more people so a relative few can enjoy indulging themselves in Hummers, mansions and luxury. We have taken so much money out of the public good and so celebrated the lone selfish "successful" individual that we cannot even see real priorities anymore.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I think most people have hummers and mansions  because they earned them by starting a good business, investing smartly, etc.  I highly doubt school funding is going to these individuals.  More likely school funding is being cut because that state's gov't simply doesn't have the funds.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">They never bat an eyelash about asking for, going into debt for and spending money for war, war, war. 87 billion will just appear and it has to according to them.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Umm, our country was in debt long before the request for 87 billion.  Our country will never get out of debt because there's no reason to.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, what is war but waste?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

You're right, war is waste.  It wastes human lives and $$.  But it's the only way to secure our country's freedoms from terrorists like bin Laden and Saddam.  And remember we have gotten rid of Iraq's #1 weapon of mass destruction; Saddam and his regime.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> I think the Democrats whimped out. They should have dumped Davis and gotten one of their real players elected. Once again, they played it safe and nice and the conniving Repubs ran all over them with their unchecked willingless to do anything to win, win, win[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

"Real players" is right.  Most dems are players and do and say whatever to get elected.  How were the republicans conniving?  As i recall, the recall was started because the Californian people wanted Davis out, and they did this through petitions. I would call it democracy.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh, well, I guess they can now expose some more CIA operatives by using all their buds in the right wing Bush loving major media. I have news for ya, the media has not been liberal since the 1970's.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Huh??!!  Why would the Bush admin. want to expose CIA members?  I think one got exposed because someone accidentally told the media.  And the major media, being un-American like usual, reported the name and expose the agent.  I would say the media is the biggest problem in America.  All they care about is having a "big" story and making $$$$$$$$$.  And by the way, the media is very liberal and extremely Anti-Bush.  They became liberal in the 70's and have remained that way ever since.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Now we can thank them for giving us another Vietnam too.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

You are correct. They have made the war in Iraq into another Vietnam. They did this by reporting only the bad and none of the good.  The bad makes better headlines and more money than the good.

-buckeye

Back