What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Collecting pollen...

Can anyone tell me at what point you can actually take pollen from a flower? I've been through a few different flowers on different plants, and not once so far have I been able to get any pollen from it.
confused.gif
I've even gone so far as to cut the anthers off of one flower and rub it on the stamen of another. (I think that's right, if not, call my lawyer.
tounge.gif
) No pollen from that either. Anyone?

First of all, what kind of flower is it?
confused.gif
wink.gif
Then I could probably help you... GOOD LUCK!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Actually, any of the cp's really. Ping at the moment. I have a primuliflora that has two flowers at the moment.

Pings, and for me, especially primuliflora, have always been (again, at least for me) hard to pollenate. I have heard that somethimes, primuliflora requires another plant to help it pollenate... Sorry, it's tough, but I hope that helps!
confused.gif
wink.gif
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Hmm, how about Drosera? I have two spatulatas putting up scapes now. In general, when is pollen actually collected?

Hi Vertigo

You don't need to pollinate the spatulatas. They are self fertile. Just wait til the flower buds dry out. The seed is viable even if the flowers don't open. Just let the scapes unfurl. If you get flowers that open, thats great but often they don't (or you aren't there when they open). Eventually the flowers will dry out and there will be seed. At that point you can cut the scape off and harvest the seed. If you wait tooo long the pods might open and spill seed and you will have little plantlets everywhere.
smile.gif

Suzanne

Hehe, maybe i'll try pollenating the ping with the drosera for the heck of it.
wink.gif

How about the plants that you do need to fertilize? Say for hybridizing? Awhile back I had a D. capensis and a D. binata "multifida" both in flower but I could never get any pollen from either flowers.

Trying to cross binata and capensis? That would be cool. Wonder what it would look like?
rolleyes.gif

Back