What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fly catcher

• Thread starter mrcallicantzaros
  • Start date
  • Tags
    fly flytrap
M

mrcallicantzaros

I say on a website a product that would catch flyes so you could then feed them to your flytrap but i cant find it. could some one please help me or give me an way to catch them alive.

thanks
Mike

I use a small, clear, disposable plastic cup that was brought home from a picnic by my daughter (she hasn't missed it yet
biggrin.gif
).  I use a stiff piece of paper like the subscription cards they stuff into magazines by the hundreds to cover the top of the cup and stick the whole thing with the fly into my freezer for about 3 minutes.  This is usually just long enough to make the fly go dormant without killing it.  Then I use a pair of old tweezers to place the fly into trap and trigger it closed.  When the fly warms up and starts moving around the trap seals shut and digests the fly.

alien.gif

Welcome to PFT! I use a pair of tweezers and catch them by their wings. If I am having a bad day, I flick them first so they are kinda dazed then pick them up with the tweezers by their wings. the most difficult part is getting the fly in the trap and the tweezers out withough letting the fly go and/or messing up the fingers on the trap. If I do mess up the fingers I use a long needle to make them lay correctly so the seal happens. Good luck!

well I havent tried it but Ive heard if you take a piece of meat and put it in a plastic bottle and leave it outside it will catch them and all you have to do is close the top.

ukc i have herd a simular thing (also not tried it) what you do is take a 2 or 3 liter bottle and cut the top off (at the poin that the bend stops) so you have 2 pieces, a funnel looking thing and the bottom of the bottle. then you put the meat in and put the "top" back on the bottle except up side down. when the fly goes down the funnel to get to the meat when it tries to fly up it doesn't know to go right in the middle. so it's stuck. ...maybe that will help. :)

Back