What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please help me!

N

Nepdude3000

Hello, I have a little problem. I live in sothern Oregon a little inland, and soon I will be moving myself and my small garden of carnivorous plants to a place with no electricity. What is the best way to set up something so that the plants can receive the natural light needed to live?  Currently they have a growlight, and I just wondered if youall had any ideas as how to go about making somekind of terrerium or fixing something to the aquarium I have now to let light in and keep it humid.  I have a Holland hybrid, a flytrap, and a derosera(SP?) sundew.

No electricity? That sounds like an adventure! One thing I used to do was build a little wall aroun the back and sides over my plants and cover it in baco foil, apparently this reflects sunlight back onto your plants. It worked quite well for me, allthough it's not as effective as the lights unfortunatly. I think bright white paint is supposed to have the same effect, but I've not used that so i can't vouch for it.

Yeah, an adventure, I'm building a house on a trailer that I'm going to tow behind my truck so I can travel here in Oregon and maybe buy a peice of land, does anyone have any ideas on how to modify my aquarium so as to keep the humidity in and get light through the top? I was thinking I could make a structure of chicken wire and cover that in saran rape making a few holes for air, but I wouldn't know how to attach the wire to the plastic of the aquarium. I then thought of just buying a clear lid for the aquarium at the store, but they
don't have em and I have a limited budget, so I am open to new ideas, thanks!

poor saran... you didnt have to rape her you know.... LOL

I also had an idea to make a sort of bog, where I could make a top out of the wire idea before, but then the plant's soil would mix, and I don't know if they all can live in the same soil.

Back