Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Homemade distiller/rain collector

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, I'm looking for some ideas on how to go about making a distiller for home use...also for collecting rain water. If any one has any suggestions, could they also include a place to get the needed supplies

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For rain water just use a big clean jug (milk carton cut in half) and stick it outside when it rains.
    \"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.\"
    -- Oscar Wilde

http://www.nasarracenia.org/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that could work.....I was actually thinking of something a little bit bigger...maybe a 55 gallon plastic barrell...something that is large that can collect alot of rain overtime so it can be stored for the drier months of summer....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a 30 gallon tup that sits under the eave of my roof. It catches plenty of rain. It really is only good with regular rainfall. If it doesn't rain for long periods lots of unknown crap settles on the roof and gets rinsed off into the tub.
    There's a tunnel at the end of the light...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking the same thing, only putting a screen over it to keep the darn squirrels out too. The only thing is, the amount of water i'd have after a normal shower would probably end up evaporating in the next day or two. Especially in the summer.
    Lithops care info: If you take care of it, it will die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of those are some good suggestions and things to consider..I was thinking to put a sealed lid on the container to prevent evaporation and having things fall into it...only opening the lid during a rain storm....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (Redtail @ Mar. 26 2003,1:01)
    All of those are some good suggestions and things to consider..I was thinking to put a sealed lid on the container to prevent evaporation and having things fall into it...only opening the lid during a rain storm....[/QUOTE]
    I would still put something in it...at least an air stone...to keep the water from going to stagnant. It'll become a breeding ground for insects as well as other things in the container. But a lid would definately help.
    Lithops care info: If you take care of it, it will die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it would go stagnant...if done properly with a sealed lid there would not be any isect problem...I know farmers who have very large setups for collecting rainwater to be used in the summer and there is no problem of stagnation....essentially if you use a food grade plastic container and kept it closed and cool it would be just like a container of water bought at the store....

9. Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast