What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My big light problem

I've been growing my cp's in a outdoors in a south facing shaded patio for a while with sucess but not true success . for i have this big problem that keeps bothering me , my plants get no light at all .i keep my plants is a a small greenhouse and other plants in a terraium . is there a way to fix this . i live in southern california and if i leave them outside in the sun they might fry like the first cp's i got .my plants had no good coloration and some of there leaves are deformed and floppy . how do i fix this . also even when my plants are shaded it still gets pretty hot in my greenhouse sometimes up to 105 degrees , how do i fix this , they do get alot of humidity 70-90 % , although theair in there can sometimes get stagnant . please help me fix this problem .

As we have nearly the same weather maybe my way might help you.
My GH is in full sun and if it stay so the temp. can get to 120F so I paint the glasses with white color I also use shading net at the very hot days and I added an aircondition it it you can also use a desert cooler (which is even better as it incrise the humidity).
Arie

One thing that you can do is to add a fan. You'll have to size the fan depending on the size of the greenhouse. You can also add a mister.
I think the best thing to do is to take them out of the greenhouse. Most cp's can take alot of heat as long as the humidity is high. You can get a small plastic kids pool, add water then put it where it will get plenty of morning sun but it's shaded in the afternoon.

actually , my greenhosue is not made of glass its made of palstic , its tghe same type of greenhouse that nick hubbel has . i once and used to use a tray and put my plants in there , which worked for a while , but then when it rained the pots would flow and tip over , then there are those hot days where the water is is really hot like boiling , then there the algae and mosquito larvae and also slime mold . so i don't think there is another way .

I've never had any of those problems with my plants outside, so I can't suggest anything for you.
For the fan, you can use a small computer fan. If you get a 12 volt fan buy a 120v to 12v adapter for it. If you can find a 120v fan that will be better for you to use because the higher the voltage the less power it will use, so that will save you money on your power bill.

Back