Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sporotrichosis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Sporotrichosis is a fungus infection that you can get from handling sphagnum moss. have anyone ever got infected before?

Jason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

I think i'm experiencing deja vu...yup, i definately am. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]
    Lithops care info: If you take care of it, it will die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The condition is not common, nor is it easily contracted. The simple precaution of washing up after handling seems to work for me, and avoid exposing any open cuts to the peat. Likewise, the dust from sphagnum and silica sand should not be inhaled.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    moved to general topic
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had heard nothing of this until I read the CP FAQ by Barry Meyers Rice, which promptly scared me a good deal as my cat had a rash on his stomach which he licked at nonstop (til the hair came off). I contacted Barry and he told me it was rare but could be a possibility due to my originally using US sphagnum. I now use the cleaner NZ sphagnum (whether it really is or not who knows).
    So, after over $1000 in vet bills and locating a vet who know what Sporotrichosis is and would actually listen to my story and run the appropriate tests. It turns out it wasn't that, they still don't know what it is exactly.

But other than that I haven't had any problems with sphagnum.

Far too old to grow up now. Kate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swords, does your cat still have the rash?

The behaviour of licking non-stop sounds very familiar. We have a cat that does that. Turns out she has an allergy to fleas. One flea bite (ie. just before her next advantage application) is enough to set her off for over a year.

When this happened we took her to the vet where she was given a cortizone injection to stop the itching so it has a chance to heal without her licking constantly. Then we started overlapping the advantage applications by 2 days and all has been well since.

Might be somthing to look into.
    I typo, therefore I edit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (swords @ Feb. 26 2003,12:35)
    I had heard nothing of this until I read the CP FAQ by Barry Meyers Rice, which promptly scared me a good deal as my cat had a rash on his stomach which he licked at nonstop (til the hair came off).[/QUOTE]
    Swords,
    Wow, my cat's doing the same thing lately. He's been licking this one spot so much it's raw now...i keep cleaning it with peroxide and putting some ointment on it, but everyday it looks like he's gone through another layer of skin. Hmmm, i'm gonna look into this before I spend another grand on his medical bills. He just got his cast off too.
    Lithops care info: If you take care of it, it will die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

hopefully the kitty isn't a self mutilation addict. A lot of high strung domestic animals get that way.
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

9. Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast