Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter dormancy

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's true...it is colder in NJ. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of in a protected place outdoors. It gets down to single digits here (VA) at times and we get snow, sleet and freezing rain and my VFTs have weathered it all (including being frozen) with no special measures taken to protect them.

But yeah there are areas that would be toooo cold as well as too warm. Thanks Scot. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outdoors in Calif? It rains pretty hard durning the winter time...wouldnt that screw up the pots and the vft's? I would have something that would protect them against the rain. I realize that vfts can handle rain in the wild but I am assuming these are in pots. I live in Michigan were it is to cold durning the winter to keep them out all winter all.

Travis
    \"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.\"
    -- Oscar Wilde

http://www.nasarracenia.org/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm actually going to experiment this winter with putting one or two of the VFT's (and a sar or two) outside for the winter here in NY (about 1 hour north of NYC). It's gets pretty brutal here, so I am going to burry the pots and mulch the plants with pine needles/leaves/whatever I can find. I've heard that many people are successful doing this, so I thought I'd give it a shot.
    'Course the rest of 'em will be up in the attic.... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Jeff Hasenflu 623N.Schenley Ave.Youngstown,Oh44509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a question about this too- all my cp plants came from Lowes except my big mouth flytrap. i was told the sundew doesn't need dormancy - i know all the flytraps need it - but what about my cobra lily- tropical pitcher and another type of pitcher plant and my nep? do i put all those to sleep when i put the flytraps down in Nov-Feb? thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (Nicholas_Bostaph @ Aug. 28 2003,09:17)
    Quote (scottychaos @ Aug. 27 2003,10:49)
    In late October, prepare your VFT by cutting off all the leaves, leave the rhizome in the pot, and wrap the whole pot in a plastic bag..then just stick in the fridge until mid-february! thats basically it..[/QUOTE]
    Am I reading that right: You cut off all the leaves, even the healthy ones? I thought VFTs still needed some light and still did some Photosynthesis in the winter. I was planning to use my garage but I heard that they still need some light so I'm still trying to figure out what to do now.[/QUOTE]
    yep! you read that right! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

if you are going to use (or need to use) the "refrigrator method", the plants go into a DEEP dormancy, the temps are just above freezing, usually around 35 degrees F.
    the plants wont photosynthesize at that temp..and besides, its pitch dark inside a fridge anyway! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

leaving the leaves on only invites fungus to grow..cut EVERYTHING off! leaving only short green stubs showing above the surface..even you left the leaves on, those leaves wouldnt survive the winter anyway..all new leaves appear in the spring, so no reason at all to leave ANY leaves at all if using the fridge..
    under a more "natural" dormancy, where winter temps are in the 40's and 50's..the yes, the plants can use their leaves..but leaving leaves in the fridge will only invite LOTS of mold to grow!

I have been doing it this way for 7 years in a row now..works fine! the only drawback is the potential for fungus to kill your plants..I always have some fungus growth over the winter, usually thin filaments growing on the "short green stubs"..but it seldom kills the plants..usually have about 95% survival..some years 100%.
    someday I plan to have a "CP only" dedicated fridge for winter dormancy! then I would spray fungicide...I dont use fungicide now because the plants go into my regular fridge, along with all my food! so I dont want dangerous chemicals in my fridge..so the plants take their chances with the mold..but as I said, the survival rate is always very good...much better than it would be outdoors around here!

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (jeffsz28 @ Aug. 28 2003,12:03)
    i have a question about this too- all my cp plants came from Lowes except my big mouth flytrap. i was told the sundew doesn't need dormancy - i know all the flytraps need it - but what about my cobra lily- tropical pitcher and another type of pitcher plant and my nep? do i put all those to sleep when i put the flytraps down in Nov-Feb? thanks[/QUOTE]
    all sarracenia (north american pitcher plants) and venus fly traps DO need dormancy..

Cobra Lilly (darlingtonia) does need dormancy

All nepenthes (tropical pitchers) do NOT need any dormancy..

Drosera (sundews) depends on the species, some need dormancy, some dont..so with sundews, you need to know the species.

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the dews you need to dew (dew - do, get it) a little research. Where is it from. Is there a winter where it originates from. Find that out and go from there.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Jeff Hasenflu 623N.Schenley Ave.Youngstown,Oh44509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the heads up guys [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

9. Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast