What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello

• Thread starter machete
  • Start date
I have no cp's. But I am very interested. I am in the process of moving into a new house that has lots of potential for growing all kinds of plants. There is a "florida" room that could very easily be made into a small green house.
I have learned alot already just by reading some of the post on this board.
Is there a book that everyone agrees is the best out there?

Well I havent read too many but The Savage Garden is a great start as Im sure most will agree.

There are several good books. This link will take you to Amazon's selection. Savage Garden is an excellent start.
smile.gif

Oh yeah... welcome to the forums.

Welcome,

If you read no other book, read The Savage Garden

Ora le

Just buy a plant. Jump off the deep end. Life is to short to mess around. Ask question here. They shall be answered, but not always rightly. But that's good to, no?

Welcome to PFT!

Cole

Greetings Machete,

Welcome to our world, prepare to be assimilated
smile.gif

So obviously everyone has told you about Savage Garden. It is indeed a good book but I want to add that everything in there should be taken only as general guidelines. Pete has been growing for 20+ years and I think he forgets that something that are natural and simple for him are actually a bit tricky for the newbie.

I would also recommend either/both of Adrian Slack's books. The older one is easier to find and more comprehensive IMHO but the newer one has great pictures.

Finally, like Tim said, get a plant and ask lots of questions. There are a ton of people here who can/will answer you.

Good growing

Welcome to the Forums, and to the world of CP. I moderate the Sundew Forum (which are after all the most beautiful of all CP). I look forward to the assimilation, errr, association!

Hey Machete!
Everyone is enthusing over "The Savage Garden," as well they should be....I just happen to have an extra copy (dup x-mas gift). I offered it to the last newbie, but he didn't want it. So now I offer it to you....I've been trying to get this book to SOMEONE on the forum since x-mas.....
wow.gif

Thanks for the welcome everyone.
Schloaty, how much for the book?
I have a couple of pics in the gallery, I keep mostly reptiles and fish. I'm sure I will be taking the dive into these most interesting plants.

You have a lengthy, long winded and verbose PM.
biggrin.gif

Hi Machete

Welcome to the forums! Be prepared to get addicted.
smile.gif
Just ask anybody...you get one flytrap and BAM...you have about 20-30 CPs...and all the accoutrements...peat, perlite, SuperThrive, distilled water, tanks, lights, pots...

Somewhere on here is a very funny thread called "You're very CP if..."--demonstrates well what can happen to you.
smile.gif

And my vote is with Tamlin...the sundews rule. But everyone has their favorite.

Jump right in and have fun!

Suzanne

Back