What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Something stinky this way comes...

I entered my greenhouse this afternoon and I was hit by a DISGUSTING smell!
I seriously thought it was a dead cat, we get those around here from time to time. I looked around for a bit and couldn't find any carcass so I asked Iloh and Wayan, two girls that work for me, to come and have a look with me. After about a minute Iloh left the greenhouse and literally vomited in the garden, Wayan then bolted out the door with her nose covered.

Anyway I didn't find anything dead under the benches so I continued pottering around with my plants and it was then I discovered - my Amorphophallus is flowering!
It has opened right up and is absolutely putrid smelling and there were big green bluebottle flies all buzzing around it. Can't believe I didn't notice it straight off.

Anyway - it's not a CP but this was so cool so I wanted to tell you all. I REALLY have to get myself one of those Dyflam digital cameras.

CHeers, Troy.

I certainly hope you let Iloh go home to recover...
wow.gif

Yeah, the same thing happened with me with some Stapelia's. I was looking all around for the bag of rotting garbage. I had amorphophallus flower for me this summer, but mine just smelled like a stable not cleaned in a month. Totally unbehaved plants!

Ae nasty!?! That reminds mind walking in swamps and smelling the sulfur gas {{{{{{ptfffff}}}}}}}.
tounge.gif
tounge.gif

By the way Dyflam that is a neat wibesite you have. I really like the lay out
wow.gif
smile.gif

travis

How Cool! Can't wait till my Sauromatum makes a big stink
wink.gif

What's an Amorphophallus ? is it in the same familly as those giant flowers that you find in the jungle, and have a really bad smell?

Joel had a simialar problem with one of his neps, hehehe...

How wonderful. As I said before... I wish I had a greenhouse to grow all sorts of plants in, but my climate is too severe to get a cheap one...
sad.gif

Interesting story Troy. I have had the "pleasure" of smelling a stapelia but not the infamous amorphophallus. If it makes you throw up, forget it!

A pic would be nice though...since the internet doesn't have "scratch n sniff" pics yet.
smile.gif

Suzanne

I had the same experince once with stapelia when we were liveing in appartement house at the 4 flour and my wife found it and throw the pot from the window  
smile.gif
(lucky she let me stay after that day)
Arie

what type of amorphophallus was it that made your greenhosue stinky troy .

Back