What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wasp flirting with disaster

• Thread starter alandallas
  • Start date
If I hadn't taken this picture myself, I would say it was staged. Note the wasp's stance
and the weed placed conveniently behind it as if to hold it in place. This type of wasp usually holds it's abdomen and wings more or less parallel to the centerline of it's thorax.
Actually,the  picture was shot just milliseconds before the wasp made flight and lived to see another day. I think it had just stopped
by to check up on some of it't ex-good-buddies and was annyoyed by the presence of my camera lens held about six
inches away so it decided to go somewhere else.
Anyway, this is my first attempt at posting a picture so here goes...:D

alatwasp.jpg

Amazing picture!
smile.gif

I hate wasps, so ... keep those Sarracenia outside!
smile.gif

Yes, I was a little concerned about the wasp taking the offensive and coming after me, but they don't usually seem to attack unless their nest is disturbed. If I had been a little quicker, I might have got a shot of it partially inside of the pitcher.
sad.gif

Do you think possibly the tail is raised in that picture because it is "hostile" (unhappy with your camera
smile.gif
). Or possibly because it is just about to take off? Or... just my overactive imagination jumping to conclusions?
smile.gif

Pat

Nice pic. I have witnessed that before. They are really good at holding on with their back legs. Not all are so graceful though... I have seen them take the plunge.

Alvin, we have all kinds of different looking wasps here in Texas. One of the most fascinating species is the Cicada killer.They are about 3" (9cm) long and certainly live up to their name but I've never heard of one stinging a human.
Trashcan, I personally think the wasp was warning me to back-off and give it some space. I considered thumping it and making it fall into the pitcher but I prefer to let mother nature do things her own way.

Alvin

What we commonly refer to as wasps in the UK are the social wasps (Family: Vespidae) and these are known by the common name Yellow Jackets in the US.

That beautiful insect in the photograph, is a solitary wasp (probably in Family: Sphecidae), we don't have that species in UK but there are many similar looking wasps.

Nice photo Alandallas.

Cheers
Vic

Thanks Vic. I'm not familiar with the type of wasp in the pic. The one's that are common in my area are much lighter in color and have more bands on their abdomens. They are generally of the Vespidae family, but we do have a lot of Sphecidae such as dirt daubers, spider hunters, etc.

BTW trashcan, the S. alata in the pic is growing in the wild so I'll have to take your advice and leave outside after all.
Alan

I like the picture....very much.

That wasp is a Giant Hornet. Looked it up in my bug book.
smile.gif
And I have seen them before. BTW, nice picture!

Back