What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cooling

hey, i saw a differ thread about cooling, i looked everywhere. i responded to it but i have not read others peoples responses. well anyway, COOLING. i would like to make a terrarium with fly traps in it. and thus, i live in south florida, and for dormancy, i would like to spray the fungicide inside the tank then close it up and have some sort of cooling device to cool it between 30-50 degrees farenheight. or whatever the dormant tempeature is. if anyone knows of any cooling device that i can buy so when it comes to winter i can cool it down to those temps? please i would accept all replies and usualy here in winter, since the world is getting warmer it gets around 50-60 degrees. not cold enough. so if anyone knows of ANYTHING that can cool down my terrarium i want to make to low degrees for dormancy please post!

bye

Hi Stafano

I can't really help you about the cooling device for a terrarium but just wanted to toss out most people who live in the warmer winter zones just put their VFTs in the fridge. Dormancy is not only about cool temperatures but reduced photoperiod too. If left in a terrarium, you might want to work out something to gradually reduce the hours of light. Its also a bit late for dormancy if you are thinking of starting it now...most CPs will be waking up pretty soon to start their growing season.

Good luck with your terrarium!

Suzanne

Yep, I am waiting. Take your time though. Fatboy, Thanks for bringing this up, I would really like a website on the little AC units Stenfano1 mentioned.

You're always welcome Nep G.
Unfortunately, looking at Stefano's post, I am afraid I don't think you are going to get any info here.
He seems to be looking for the same thing as you.

If either of you come up with anything I will also be very interested. We have very little diurnal difference in temp here and I have never tried growing anything other than lowlanders as it's too hard. I may try a few if you guys come up with a good solution to the cooling prob.

Cheers fatboy.

Thanks, that helped a litle bit but I'll stick with the frozen cups and icy cold water and air pump setup. Special Thanks to Ram for that idea.

what? if you can, can you post a picture here so i can see what it looks like? thanks

No problem! Here it is.
8602858-c228-01600120-.jpg

You can see the "T" connector and to either side of it are 2 airstones. You can see one of them under the water on the pot side. Then the plastic cup in the middle  is usually frozen solid with ice. (It has melted that is why water is there) And what happens is that there is an airpump out side of the window near the tank and it is pupming ice cold air throught the tubing to the airstones. It is about 10 F outside so the effect is wonderful! But anyhow they bubble and cool the water in the pot and the ice really makes the water cold!!!!!! But the cold water is evaporated and this in turn circulates the air in the tank (because of the bubbling and cools it and humidfy's it all at once.) So there you have the makeshift cooler. Specail thanks to Ram again but I added the extra airstone and the ice cup idea. Also the reason the lighting is wierd is because my terrarium light is very bright and I used a halogen desk lamp pointed downward so I got just enough light.

so when the cup is frozen solid you freeze it with the air stone inside? and then you pump the air wit it? where do you get the cool air from to pump it into the air stone, i have alot of air stones from before fish tanks.. but where did you hook it up so it gets ice cold air into the tank? if i know how i would have like 5 airstones in mine
tounge.gif

this is my second VFT, my first died when i was 10 and it was before winter and i had no comp... and now i got one and am not sure about the fridge cus im afraid i might killl it, and i would love to have differ kinds of VFT's in a terrarium and with that method i might be able to cool it down to the temps it needs. where do you get the cold air from and what do you do with the ice cup?

AHH i see now.... after i read it 3 times
smile.gif

yea well you live in cold area. i live in FL, i NEVER have 10 F outside
tounge.gif

i get it, you have the water there and the cold air from outside bubbles it and makes the water cold and it evaporates cool water, thats a GREAT idea. but i dont have a pump that cold air. MAYBE I CAN PUMP THE AIR FROM THE FrEEZER :biggrin:
hehhehehe, but ill need along tube i want to figure out how to cool it then make my terrarium of VFTS's heh

well ill read that forum now.

Good idea ain't it! Hmm.....I wonder if I could sell these! :biggrin: Ha! funny but no I want to get more CP's I like em to much.

yes very good idea. i duno what i will do
sad.gif

ill buy one for 5&#36&#36 or whatever you price at
tounge.gif
but i need cold air =/

I was just joking Stefano1 ! Ha! I can just give you step by step instructions on how I did it if you want. I can't belive you thought that! LOL
smile.gif

lol i get fooled alot. sometimes i do it on purpose for the other peson to say i was joking
tounge.gif

yea the instructions would be great! gotta get off now cya

NG,

I am glad the idea is working for you, and you made some pretty darn smart modifications... I like the idea of pumping air in from outside.

That is smart... and don't give me credit for it... I think someone else told me about it.... I can't remember who... but I was astounded by it's effectiveness... If you put a computer fan in there, blowing right back into the cup, it will freak you out... 100% humidity inside an hour... (At least for me!) WOW!

I have seen the computer fan idea mentioned in several places. I actually have a spare fan now. How exactly do you go about powering it? Do I need to buy a 6/12 volt AC adaptor and solder it on? I have an entire spare computer/parts to work with.

Pat

Yea, That's my problem. I'd buy a fan but I don't know how to hook it up. Little help? But Ram, You gave me the idea of the pot with the airstones and I just added the second stone and a frozen solid cup and the outside airpump. Hmm....That Computer fan would be nice! Also did I tell you guys I bought an N.Rajah?

yea , i read that you bought it. for how much if its no prob? just wondering

where are the instrucitons and what did RP say to do? instead of using the air from outside.... to use from where? thanks

bye

hey guys...

The fan doesn't have to spin fast, in fact you don't want it to.

I went to Radio Shack and bought a 9v transformer wire, the one that has the generic adapter, and can be converted to all types of pins...

Any how, I just skinned the wires on the fan, taped one to the outside of the pin, another to the inside, bundled it up in tape so it would all stay, and let it rip! You could accomplish the same thing of course by skinning the transformers wires and then soldering together...

and of course, since your working with electrical appliances, may I say, Unplug it first...

Oh... and try to keep your time on contact to the wires in the transformer as short as possible with the soldering iron, I have found heat transfers across the wires really well, and I have no idea how it would effect the transformer if it 'backwashed' up in there... probably wouldn't, but you never know.

Back