Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Water question

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just wondering if any of you chemical savvy folks can tell me if a galvanized metal tub would be ok as a rain container? I don't know if the galvanized metal would contaminate the water. I just recently bought a large tub at an estate sale...its an old one, not a shiney new one. Since we have been BLESSED with some rain here (finally!&#33[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img], the tub is about half full but I hesitate to use the water fearing some kind of harmful "stuff" may leach into it. I can't find an old wooden rain barrel which is what I'd prefer. My collections of plastic buckets and tubs on the deck are a bit unsightly. I'm sure my neighbors would appreciate it if I get rid of them.

Any thoughts on metal containers as rain collectors?

Thanks!

Suzanne
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Suzanne,

I'm not too sure about any problems in using water from metal tubs / barrels (mine are plastic: plastic or wood may be safer), I'll leave that for other folks to answer. However, you could try lining the tub(s) with plastic sheeting if in doubt, for example pond liner, bin liners, etc if you have any of the right size available. Just a thought! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Kind Regards,

Adam.
    Wales, UK.
    Kind regards,

Adam.
    Wales, UK [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    I'm mainly interested in Drosera, Dionaea & Aldrovanda, Hardy Orchids (esp Dactylorhiza), Arums and Ericas (Heaths/Heathers - European + S.African)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rain water is always acidic which increases its normal inclination to attack metal. It will dissolve metal ions from your metal container and contaminate itself to a certain degree, more or less, depending on the contact time it has with the metal and many other factors.

Lining it with plastic sounds like an excellent idea.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm...thanks Adam and Pingman. Hadn't thought about that. I guess I could use plastic. I was just wondering how much metal affected water. Wood would be good but nobody makes rainbarrels anymore.

Thanks!

Suzanne
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome