What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windowsill trays

Hi All,

Does anyone know where to get windowsill trays that are only 4 or 5 inches wide? Everything I find is 6 inches wide and my windowsills are only about 4 inches wide. I'd appreciate any suggestions. I have some VFT's coming from PFT this week and I want to be ready.
Also, I guess, since I am in Houston with our hot humid sunny summers and rather mild to cool winters that I could grow these guys outside. Should I start them in partial sun outdoors and slowly move them to full sun? Watering, using a tray, I would guess is probably a daily thing with outdoor culture? Since our winter temperatures vary so much -- from freezing to the high 60's in any given week, I suppose I would need to use the frig for a real dormancy period?
Thanks in advance.

Bobby
rolleyes.gif

If you're just growing vft's, your weather seems very good for them. In fact it sounds almost the same as SE North Carolina where the vfts grow. Don't worry about the 60 degrees in the winter, vft's experience that in the wild all the time.

Biggun,

Phil has VFT's growing outside in his bog, so you can definately grow them outdoors, however, you will need tohave them in larger pots so their roots don't heat up, or put them in a bog.

I have not seen any 4 inch window trays, all I can suggest is maybe going to one of those do it yourself clay places, where you supply the skill, and they supply the material, and making one for yourself. (Be sure to glaze it&#33
wink.gif

You will want to move the traps out slowly. Your flytraps are probably coming from the grow room, which does get into the 80's sometimes, but maintains an ambient humidity, and is powered by artificial lights. They probably have some older green house growth on them as well...

but to be sure, acclimate slowly.

I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about, but usually garden shops have long thin trays with plastic lids that are used as seed starters. However its not a flat tray...the bottom tray has sides about 2 1/2 inches high and then the lid is about the same. They are about 20" long. I have a lot of these. Also the bigger trays that are much wider with lids.

Suzanne

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the ideas. I finally just decided to buy some small bowls to use. They seem to be working just fine. I can tell I will need to watch the water. It's as bad as orchids!

Bobby
rolleyes.gif

Back