What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you score?

What did anyone score at the NECPS Show?

I picked up the following:

Nepenthes viellardi
Nepenthes Judith Finn
Nepenthes macfarlanei

Unfortunately, I was OUTBID on all of the plants Tony donated.

The show was really amazing. We'll have photos, more news about it in a few days.

WildBill
rolleyes.gif

Woo hoo!

1 N. ephippiata (been looking for this for months! )
1 Cephalotus
2 S. 'Dixie Lace' (I think....wrigleyana at least)
1 S. 'Catesbei' (sp? )
3 D. capensis boring, I know...not like I don't have a bunch already.....but in the pot was:
1 B. Liniflora (score! )
1 D. binata
1 D. binata multifida
several D. capilaris
1. P. moranensis (I think...let's see if I can avoid killing this one this time)
I was outbid on the Heliamphora....Oh well, you can't win 'em all!

LUCKY you! I'll get me a Ceph too eventually!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Congrats to all!

SF

Judy got the Ceph Tony donated. There was a BATTLE for it in the silent auction area. Then she protectively carried/displayed it around in her front shirt pocket for the remainder of the show!

It seemed like every visitor - kids and adults alike walked out with plants! How Cool.

WildBill

Wish I could;ve gone, but that's a long trek from AK! Jeese, you guys are lucky. How expensive were thesse plants? How large are they? Give me visuals
biggrin.gif
!

My list isn't as long as Schloaty's, but i didn't return empty handed by any means!

My loot:
20031013-CP-Show%20loot-N.mirabilis%20echinostoma,%20N.diatas%20'Meadow%20Form',%20D.tracyi,%20S.x'Scarlet%20Belle'%20in%20sphagnum,%20D.muscipula%20'Giant%20Form'.jpg

That's an N. mirabilis echinostoma, N. diatas 'Meadow Form' (in the bag), D. tracyi (in the other bag
wink.gif
, what i believe is S. x'Scarlet Belle' in live sphagnum, and two pots of VFT: one with dozens of tiny TC vfts, and one very expensive pot of 'Giant Form' (and it's very, very small
wink.gif
).

Some of the expert growers there told me they had lost one or more N. diatas, so i'm a bit nervous about it doing well, but it had such nice big pitchers i couldn't resist bidding.  Tony's donated plants were beautifully packaged and in excellent condition as i've seen before.  Thanks, Tony! My hamata from Tony has perked up enough that it made the trip to the show, sporting new pitchers (finally&#33
wink.gif
.  It seems pretty fast-growing now that it's settled down.

The D. muscipula 'Giant Form' was from the Black Jungle booth there.  There were at least three obviously distinct clones in the flat labeled 'Giant Form', and all they could tell me was that they came from 'Best Carnivorous Plants' over in Europe, so i guess i have a mystery giant.  I picked out one that seemed to have redder inner traps and shorter petioles than others. Anyone know more about this batch?

The echinostoma has such neat, serrate leaves and beautiful pitchers that i bought it, even if it's a "common" mirabilis...

The TC vft pot was from NECPS member Ken Uhnak, who has a very interesting TC business, and some good ideas for new products and approaches to CPs.

What a great show!

Oh yes, you wanted to know costs:

N. diatas - i beat out Dave Evans with a $21 last-minute bid.
D. muscipula 'Giant Form' - $10
N. mirabilis echinostoma - $23 (it's a large plant)

So do you know who finally got the N veitchi?
confused.gif
(John???)

Everytime I checked, someone had upped my bid!

WildBill

Nope, dunno. That's the one i really wanted, but it was at $25 when i last checked it. I think it might have been Dave E. or Thomas.

I KNOW I put in a $26 bid...

hello everyone,

I didn't get the N Veitchii, not sure who did. I was outbid on everything also this time.
Then again, as the person with the watch, I didn't think it was too fair if I posted a last second bid.. as much as I wanted to..
I'd really like to thank Tony for the GREAT plants he donated to the show and the society, and the help he gave us with the plants and the postings here.
And of course, thanks to all that worked hard before and during the show to make it a success.
We had just about 200 people pay to come thru the doors, with the $3  each donated to the New England Botanical Gardens. The Bonsai Society has had a show for 5 years, and has yet to break 100, so I am VERY pleased with the turnout.

And you had to be there to see the smiles and fun all the visitors and society members were having.  

One last thing, a woman drove from NJ 5 1/2 hours with 4 kids to get to the show after her son had seen it advertised on line. I found out about this as they were coming in, and was giving them a tour of the "Savage Garden Bog" we have planted there. As soon as we got to the bog, the oldest son screamed " Oh My God, a Sarracenia leucophylla!!!"..then he proceeded to name every Sarr in Latin, along with a few of the sundews. That family stayed for about 2 hours, and the kids got LOTS of free plants from members and vendors.

I wish I could have done something for the mother, SHE deserves a prize for what she did...but she saw the kids having a GREAT time

Thanks again to everyone!

John
President
NECPS

That's great
smile.gif
.  ...I hate where I am...  Man, I would have gone down there with like 100 bucks, and won all of the best prizes for those prices
biggrin.gif
.  I think the plants tony sells on his website are a lot more expensive
wink.gif
.Anybody got plants large enough to trade cuttings
rolleyes.gif
.  Oh, and how did this N. veitchii that was on sale look?  I want to compare it to my new one
biggrin.gif

Hello everyone,

Just to add what I scored:

P. ehlersiae
P. zecheri
P. moctezumae
N. campanulata
N. veitchii "typical Lowland"
N. ephippiata
N. merrilliana
N. rafflesiana { I know, another one!}
and a big ole pot of D. rotundifolia to put in my outside Bog Garden, from a member { thanks Dave}

oh, and I also picked up another  N. rafflesiana and a N. amp for a friend  who couldn't make the show, but is really trying to get to a meeting!

I purchased a few plants from Tony before the show also...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think the plants tony sells on his website are a lot more expensive [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Well since you brought this up. I feel I need to respond.

It is one thing to compare prices and it's fine to do so. General statements like this however don't do much except hurt the individual. A lot more expensive than who? The prices you see listed by overseas mass producers? Certainly not the US nurseries. If you check all the big US nurseries/distributors you would find my prices are among the least expensive and highly competitive with all of them. I take great care to keep up to date on what my competitors are listing their plants at and make regular adjustments in prices based on their prices and sizes listed, compared to my own plants. Quite a good deal considering every plant offered is fully established and the majority of the time are bigger than listed on the website.

Tony

Hold up, hold up. I'm not comparing you to anyone else, as that would be pointless. I meant that i thought it was cool how you were selling larger plants at the meeting, for less than you usualy do on your website. No harm intended
sad.gif
. Amazing how I have a nack for offending people....

I just want to make sure everyone is clear on this -

Actually, Tony VERY VERY VERY generously DONATED plants to the NECPS Show. It was decided that it would be better to have a silent auction for them rather than put them out for sale.

Thanks again Tony.

Nathaniel -

Maybe you could start saving money now for gas or plane fare for next year's show......Just kidding.

WildBill

hello everyone,

I want to clarify something important.

Some of the prices that were given on this board were prices paid at the SILENT AUCTION.
There are times when prices paid at a silent auction may be more than those listed in a catalog, and times when you get a bargain and pay less. THAT is one of the reasons you join a society and come to meetings.
Tony was not selling plants at the NECPS show. He graciuosly DONATED plants that we used for the silent auction, since many were VERY nice, large specialty plants that the general public might not know how to care for as beginner plants. We also felt this was a better way to raise funds for the society.

We did have other vendors at the show selling plants, and the prices were fair, as  Tony's plants are priced.

Please also remember, that it is not just the price that determines the value of a plant, but the service, the plant condition, and the support the grower gives you. Often, I'll pay a little more for a plant that I know is coming from someone who grows them better than someone else, or from someone who supports the ICPS, NECPS or other societies. And lets not forget about those who sell plants "cheap" that turn out to be wild collected plants!

Just my 5 cents...I could never stop at just 2 cents...

thanks,

John, with a BIG smile still, after the show!
NECPS

Sorry for the confusion.  I didn't think it would cause any problems to post some of the prices i paid as incentive to people to come join us
wink.gif
, but i didn't make it clear that Tony's were purchased as a part of a silent auction on donated plants.  Yes, the prices paid on most of those excellent plants ended up being less than one would pay on any reputable dealer's site.  As John pointed out (Hi John! ), that's one perk of being in a CP society.

I wasn't going to pay more than $20 for a nep on Saturday... but then when i saw how nice and big the plants were that were going for that price, i couldn't resist.  My N. diatas is completely awesome - several large pitchers:
20031013-CP-N.diatas%20'Meadow%20Form'-pitchers%202.jpg

Obviously a steal for the price i paid... once again, Tony sells a quality product...

Nathaniel, the N. veitchii was a highland form, FYI.  I don't have a photo of it, unfortunately.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nepenthes gracilis @ Oct. 15 2003,07:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is that the forest form of N. diatas?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Nope, the 'Meadow Form'. I have to say that the pitchers seem to be a nicer shape and color than in most photos i've seen, however. Almost villosa-like, or something.

I wonder if this is a TC clone, or seed grown - perhaps i ended up with a superior specimen? You got a 'Meadow Form', Nep G?

Well since everyone else is "telling all and revealing what they SCORED".

I was quite happy to come away with:

1 Nepenthes truncata
2 Tissue cultured tubes of (S. leucophylla and S. alata)
1 S. leucophylla (green and white)
1 Pinguicula ehlersiae x oblongata gorgeous pink plant

A hilarious "Shut your trap" VFT NECPS badge

Gave away: 1 Drosera filiformis ssp. tracyi
1 Drosera multifida

Keep those plants growing!!!

Back