What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darwin - insectivorous plants

Pretty cool! I've got a second edition "Insectivorous Plants" from 1899, and it sure is interesting to see how captivated Darwin was by these diminutive plants (even though it's pbvious to CP enthusiasts).

Neat! I was thinking about hunting down this expensive book-now I don't have to! thank you, thank you, thank you!
smile.gif

Thanks from me too, a really good link to such an important early work on CPs. I read it when I first started out growing CPs as a student (20 years ago&#33
wink.gif
and thought it was about time I reread it. This link saves me either the time and money of buying an expensive antique book or ordering it through the library.

Thanks
Vic

You might be interested to know that Charles Darwin's book Insectivorous Plants is back in print for the first time in over 100 years.  It is a reprint of the first edition and is in a individually numbered limited edition run of 1000 copies (hardback).  The dust jacket has a very nice commissioned painting of Drosera rotundifolia on it which is quite appropriate to all Darwin's experiments on this plant.  The cost is £30 plus P&P (UK only I think, postage may be more overseas) although there is a discount for CPS members at £28 including P&P, which is a saving of about 13%. I thought this was a very reasonable price for this classic work.

contact details:         Langford Press
                             Book-corner
                             2 High Street
                             Wigtown
                             Wigtownshire
                             DG8 9HQ
    Scotland
                              Tele 01988 402010
                              Fax 01671 402485
                             Web www.book-corner.co.uk
                             email ian@book-corner.co.uk
they accept most cards or cheques
Stephen

I can't imagine reading the whole book off a computer screen. Bookfinder.com lists a few copies in the USD$30 range. But GBP30 sounds like a pretty good deal too. And Amazon lists a paperback copy for USD$34.50. You could probably get your local bookstore to order it too.

If you like that kind of stuff you should pick up a copy of F.E. Lloyd's book too.

Back