Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Darwin - insectivorous plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://pages.britishlibrary.net/charles...._fm.htm

This link is to a web version of Charles Darwin's book Insectivorous Plants. Of course, it's pretty old information.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty cool! I've got a second edition "Insectivorous Plants" from 1899, and it sure is interesting to see how captivated Darwin was by these diminutive plants (even though it's pbvious to CP enthusiasts).
    Mike Howlett

"Leuc, I am your flava!"

Now we know Princess Leah's last name: Wilkerson!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neat! I was thinking about hunting down this expensive book-now I don't have to! thank you, thank you, thank you! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks from me too, a really good link to such an important early work on CPs. I read it when I first started out growing CPs as a student (20 years ago&#33[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] and thought it was about time I reread it. This link saves me either the time and money of buying an expensive antique book or ordering it through the library.

Thanks
    Vic
    They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might be interested to know that Charles Darwin's book Insectivorous Plants is back in print for the first time in over 100 years. It is a reprint of the first edition and is in a individually numbered limited edition run of 1000 copies (hardback). The dust jacket has a very nice commissioned painting of Drosera rotundifolia on it which is quite appropriate to all Darwin's experiments on this plant. The cost is 30 plus P&P (UK only I think, postage may be more overseas) although there is a discount for CPS members at 28 including P&P, which is a saving of about 13%. I thought this was a very reasonable price for this classic work.

contact details: Langford Press
    Book-corner
    2 High Street
    Wigtown
    Wigtownshire
    DG8 9HQ
    Scotland
    Tele 01988 402010
    Fax 01671 402485
    Web www.book-corner.co.uk
    email ian@book-corner.co.uk
    they accept most cards or cheques
    Stephen
    Stephen
    Sarracenia rosea?...don't be ridiculous!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't imagine reading the whole book off a computer screen. Bookfinder.com lists a few copies in the USD$30 range. But GBP30 sounds like a pretty good deal too. And Amazon lists a paperback copy for USD$34.50. You could probably get your local bookstore to order it too.

If you like that kind of stuff you should pick up a copy of F.E. Lloyd's book too.