User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiny, tiny, tiny bugs in tray water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a bunch of very tiny white bugs "on" the water in my humidity tray for one of my orchids. They are about 1 mm long. When I first saw them I thought they were dust. I don't believe they are fungus gnat larva as they are on the water and they are not worm like. They have heads, bodies, leggs,... My eyes hurt from trying to focus on that small of a creature. Any ideas??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darth,

They are springtails. Thay are harmless scavengers, eating dead plant matter. They are probably in all your pots (I know they are in all of mine, and my snake and gecko terrariums.) I wouldn't worry about them I have never experienced a problem with them in all my years.

Pyro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a wide assortment of aquatic creatures growing in all of my water trays! I have some tiny little white round water flea like things (not Daphnia), Thin little worms, mosquito larvae. Every year provides something new! I think they must hibernate in the pots over winter because even when I clean and scrub the trays out they always return, but they never cause any harm to the plants!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a quick search, and it looks like they are indeed springtails. Thanks for the info. It is realy weird ho they somtimes huddle together in tight little groups.

D. Buck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darth,

I can explain that. Springtails are actually prone to dehydration so they huddle together to reduce their collective surface area. Mites and fleas will do the same thing.

Pyro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yup i have them also in my water trays.i will ocasionally dump em into my u.gibba...so its lunch time! Pyro, how do you have em in your snake tank? what bedding do you use? i use care fresh for my milksnake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a peat mix for my snake. I try for a realistic semi-self contained system with my herp cages. Soil, rocks, branches, plants, it is a whole little ecosystem. I like this method as I only have to do a full out clean and condition about every 6-9 months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh, the natural vivaium eh pyro. gotcha ya. i have a 15 gallon tank with a carefresh beddinga nd a large branch and hide log thing. Wut size mice is ur snake eating? my mex milk is eating hoppers, live of course.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast