What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oxygen Plus/African Violet Food

I have a bottle of oxygen plus which has an analysis content of: Urea Nitrogen 1%, Phosphoric Acid 3%, Soluble Potash 2%. It claims to release oxygen (0.25%) derived from Urea Hydrogen Peroxide.

What do you think about its use on CP"s? In particular on Sarrs, Flytraps and Sundews that are kept on the tray method? I was thinking occassional adding to the water in the tray may help provide air to the root area that is pretty compacted down from constantly being in water. So what do you think? Good or bad? Worth a test?

Hi Linda,
I'd avoid using it. It's a weak fertilizer (1:3:2). Carnivorous plants in general are very sensitive to fertilizers and minerals. It doesn't take much to kill them. If you want to add a little oxygen to the soil, shake the water jug real good before you water. This mixes air into the water. You can also water the plants from above occasionally, though you have to be careful of crown rot if you do. I've watered my VFTs from above for years without any problems though.

I might try like quarter strength on a plant that I wouldn't mind experimenting with. First sign of stress... flush immediately. (That sounds kinda bad... like doctors advice).

whats crown root
smile.gif

If the crown (top part where all the growth comes out) stays wet too long, fungus or bacteria will start to grow and rot the crown. You can pretty much kiss the plant good by then since the point where the new growth develops is damaged or killed. May still be able to get new plants from leaf cuttings though.

Thanks for your thoughts BCK, that is pretty much what I expected (but you never know unless you ask
biggrin.gif
). Definately a no go for the plants that are doing well, inspite of me
biggrin.gif

Dyflam I may get brave enough to try a very weak amount on a D.Adelea which has lost its dew and just keeps hanging on. Can't figure the thing out, its growing great but dry as a bone. I've tried more humidity, less humidity, more light, less light and am getting no where
sad.gif

Linda,
I'm in the same boat with my D. Aldelea. Does anyone know why? Mine flowered, looks like it's making seeds, but the leaves are wilty, brown around the edges and DRY....It's plenty humid, gets about 4-5 hours of sun...What's up?

I've noticed the same thing on my adelae, but have many others that have came up off the roots and are healthy, so I'm not doing anything.
I heard somewhere that D. adelae is more sensitive to fertilizer than most cp's, even very weak fertilizer - I think that was mentioned in the Savage Garden, but I'm not sure.

I think your right carnivours23, now that you say that, I remember the Savage Garden recommend against any fert.for Adelea. Wish mine was throwing off healthy pups, but so far not. Oh well, thats life, gives me a good reason to buy a replacement plant. Although I'll hang in there a bit longer and see what happens.

Adalae is very sensetive to light, and changes... and if memory serves, once the dew is off it's leaves, it's off... but new growth should get it.

High humidity is of course important, and make sure there is no air blowing across it, and that you are not misting directly on the plant, as that will erode the dew.

Back