Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For everyone...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OH! I was in Baltimore a few months back. It was dark in there and rather rude to use a flash (we got a special showing at nighttime) so they're blurry from using the nightlight:

A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would strongly advise NOT getting them for your aquariums, I would be surprised if you could get them anyway?

They are notoriously sensitive and difficult to feed. Theyare also temperate water fish, not tropical, so you can forget corals and all the other pretty coloured angels, etc that go with a tropical tank. You would almost certainly have to have a tank set up specifically for them.

Both kinds are apparently endangered (isn't everything) but leafy's live in areas where it is extremely hard to see them and the weather is often awful so accurate counts would be difficult.

I used to be able to see 20 or 30 weedy's in a 45 minute dive so I am not sure they are so endangered.

Cheers, Troy.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i used to keep marine aquariums. you cant keep these, sorry. the closest thing you can get is a seahorse. and that is a BIG responsibility aswell. and even if the seadragon was a tropical fish, you couldn't have coral with is anyway, besides a few soft ones like mushrooms or xenia (commonly in seahorse tanks) because seahorses and leafy sea dragons like SLOOW water and coral like its fast. plus it would be stung and killed by most coral.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well let me be a little clear, I don't want one... never have, never will, just kinda want to see one in person... I wonder if Sea World of Texas has any.. .I might have to go spend a day there soon. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Sadly, far to many reef fish are being collected by an unsavory method using cyanide. The collectors toss a molatave cocktail of sorts into the water and it stuns the fish. And then these severely traumatized creatures make their way through the supply chain, and most end up dying on the person who buys them, and everyone loses out. This is why it is important to make sure your supplyer uses only those collectors that go down and collect by hand.

The real attrocity, is it damages the area of the reef and those species that are not collected as well, the phillipines are severely devestated by this, and many of their reefs are completely destroyed.

Thankfully, many fish have entered cultivation, but there are some that it is just currently impossible to breed in captivity, because they go through a plantonic stage in their growth, and various other reasons... thankfully, many nations, including the phillipines (I think them any how) are taking a conservationist angle and have passed laws against cyanide collecting, and are training their fishermen to work in such a way as to preserve the reef as a renewable resource.

kinda cool... that hobby is turning around and becoming more ecologically concious.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Those are great pictures! I was at the Long Beach Aquarium awhile back and they have an exhibit of leafy sea dragons and I was just mesmerized by them. They are so exotic and beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

cpwitch
    \"Change is good -- you go first!\" Anon.
    Be sure to visit my website at: http://www.angelfire.com/magic/galengillotte

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12