Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: this is aweful

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fire is good for nature

it is true [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif[/img]
    I love nepenthes

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

A natural fire is natures way of cleaning house. A fire started with napalm bombs is a different story though. With natural fires, animals get some warning that it's coming. They see or smell the smoke and hear the flames burning through the brush. With luck they have enough warning that they can get out of the way. The fire itself doesn't usually sterilize the soil with intense heat unless there is a lot of accumulated brush to burn. Napalm on the other hand gives no warning and produces intense heat over a large area. I suspect there are also traces of napalm left behind. Between the napalm residue and the intense heat the soil isn't in very good condition to grow much of anything for a while.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the important fact that keeps getting missed here is that it is a MINE FIELD so that means it is probably in an ordanance range. My guess would be that there isn't anything too much larger than a rat there as the bombs and mines and grenades and other things that go BOOM would have scared everything else off. ANd that they are clearing the mine field is a good thing, I'd rather that then them leave mines around to later rip some poor child in half
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, tried to let this go, but... why would the dumb military have a mine field in California? Did some enemies sneak in the night & plant it? And the news said the fire went out of control & burned more than twice what they had planned. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif[/img]
    Restore our biosphere, create a new culture of kindness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea, 400 acers was planned to get burned, but 1400 acers were burned... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]

The whole area is blocked off, no one ever went there, the mines were practice ones for training marines, thought they still were live.
    No, there were animals larger than rats there. it was actually kinda a wildlife sanctuary... there were deer, san fransisco garder snakes (endangered) scorpions, rabbits, everything, a bear had been seen there even, it was pretty much a thick forest. my dad gave clearance for the helicopter to drop the napalm, he warned the aspca and asked them if they were going to do anything about it. the aspca had no idea they were gonna use na palm... that was the day before they dropped it. anyways, my dad saw it go off, the entire 400 acers went off at ONE time. nothing had a chance to get out. also, even worse, the ideots thought the smoke would go out to sea... well, the wind on the ground went out to sea, but the rising smoke caught the upper winds... and went inland, all over monterey bay. then, at night, it sunk to the ground like fog... cough cough, everyone in town was coughing and had masks etc. i barely slept [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]
    Only thing the people are mad about here is the smoke... no one even thought of the wildlife... makes me [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, certainly sounds like it sucked... but I think an important thing to remember is that the only people who should have ever have gone in there are trained marine ordinance officers... sending in wildlife preservation teams would have been asking for a person to lose a vital limb or even their life.

Napalm is pretty nasty stuff, I am not sure what modern versions are made of, but older versions are essentially gasoline and a soapy mixture to make it stick. I have not read anything on this incident, but I can tell you that one helicopter does not carry enough napalm to burn 400 acres of land, but it will make a good start. Anything under the napalm is most definately toast (though, I expect some Vietnemese would tell you surviving a napalm drop in a cave or crack in the ground is highly possible) but I expect that a good fair amount of wild life was able to make it out.

When your choices are to A) do a controlled burn which could have poeple get hurt or killed because of the mines, or B) do a intense burn, can cook off the mines at the sacrifice of a little bit of nature, I say the military probably did the most cost effective and intelligent approach. Nature will relcaim that land in time, and this time, maybe people will be able to enjoy it.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow spec , this is intertesting , i hope that somethings survived at least , this would make me pissed off especially having to breath in the smoke . i have heard surive bombs in vietnam but they were severyl injured and also i don't know what naplam is really so i don't know much .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That does sound really awful but i have to agree with Rampuppy that there were only two options. One, risk human life or two, risk animal life/nature. I think the military made the right choice considering their options.

-buckeye

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast