What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Pet

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
Well, my wife has finally gotten her second dog.

This is Clover. She is was part of a prison dog training program. Still a bit rough around the collar and somewhat scared of smooth floors. Yes, it does appear that she has a bowl growing out of her back.

Clover.jpg

She gets along well with our cats. Still not sure about her interaction with Apple ( out first dog ).

Aaawwww! That's a cute dog! She looks very intelligent, and hopefully the roughness can be turned into loyalty and love.

Why is she scared of smooth floors? Does she slip out or something? What is prison dog training? Making sure prisoners don't escape or something? That would explain some of the hard edges.

SF

Beautiful dog...

Looks like 1/2 German shepard and 1/2 Pit bull (IMHO). Expect an EXTREMELY intelligent dog. My last dog Ripley was 1/2 Pit Bull and Dingo. She unfortunately is living with my ex-wife and not me
sad.gif

Kirk Martin
Fitchburg, Mass

The pic won't load for me.
sad.gif

Beautiful dog. By the way what is the "bowl"?

The bowl is her water dish. The photo was taken just after we got her home.

The prison program is where dogs are brought in to learn basic obedience and are trained by the inmates. I will see if I can find more info on the program.

Let me know if the photo still doesn't work. I can send it via a pm or post elsewhere.

That is really cool, how they give the inmates something to do like that. Ive heard of recreation but I've never heard of a prison dog training program until you mentioned it.

That is a very cute dog!  How old is she?

I also think the dog training program is a great idea. I think all inmates should have to help out the community in some way. These types of programs teach them that there's more to life than crime and makes them useful rather than just a burden on society.  I think there should be more programs like it.

-buckeye

She is about 9 months old.

I cannot find any info online about the prison training program. I do know that there are several inmates that are head trainers with several other regular trainers. They do get paid for their work with the dogs. If I remember correctly, they can have a 100 or so animals at one time to train.

They keep a log on each animal and mark down dates and amount of time for walks, food, play, when they eat, use the restroom, etc. A copy is available for the new owners. They also keep a journal on the dogs behavior each day.

Clover was in the program about two months longer than most dogs. She is very nice, but has a tendency not to pay attention or obey her commands. However, she is much better than our pup Apple who should know many of the same commands, but is more interested in what the other dog is doing, or if there are any treats for her.

I will keep looking for more information about the prison program.

Unfortunatly, Clover had to go back. She was extremely agressive towards our male cat and had a few other problems we are just not able to deal with.

Before we got Apple, I didn't not care much for dogs. It took a very long time before I was comfortable getting a dog and Apple really made me fall in love with the little buggers. I am very sad that we had to take here back. She slept in a sleeping bag with me last night as she doesn't like to sleep alone.

She will make a great pet for someone as she was well behaived and very lovable. She just cannot be around cats.

sad.gif

Nick,
Sorry you had to take her back
sad.gif
. Hopefully you will find another dog that does get along with cats
smile.gif

BCK
smile.gif

Yes, that's too bad she didn't work out for you.  She's a nice looking dog.  
How about a dog that's smaller than your cat?  
biggrin.gif

Back