Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low light levels

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a photo of my better setup.

Nick

Careful where you crawl, it might be a trap!

http://www.carnivorium.com
    http://www.buckeyecarnivores.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice light rack!

I use those adjustable, metal wire shelving units you can buy at any hardware store. It's around $70 for a 6-1/2' tall, 4' long, 18" wide package with four shelves, so you could pack in a lot of plants. It's easy to hang the shoplights from the wires of the shelf above, and even unhandimen like myself can set it up. I have two, two-tube shoplights over the shelf right now. It might be possible to fit a third, but i haven't seen the need because the plants grow great.

Old photo:

New pic:

The mylar makes a lot of difference!

Tony, although the wattage scales linearly with the length of fluorescent lamps, the shorter lamps are less efficient. Two 2' lamps produce less light than one 4'. Just FYI.
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (D muscipula @ Nov. 06 2003,9:54)]Tony, although the wattage scales linearly with the length of fluorescent lamps, the shorter lamps are less efficient. Two 2' lamps produce less light than one 4'. Just FYI.
    Not sure what you mean by less efficient and less light.

The rating for wattage is actually a power consumption not light output. So two 2' 20watt tubes burn the same amount of electricity as a single 4' 40 watt tube.

Generally speaking two 2' tubes do put out a little less light than a single 4' tube of the same brand and model. This is simply because a little less surface area inside the tube is lit up if you take a 4' tube and break it into two halves.

Light output which is measured by lumens can vary dramatically and is totally dependent on the bulb. The higher quality daylight bulbs can put out 30% more light than the less expensive coolwhite tubes while using the same amount of electricity.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Not sure what you mean by less efficient and less light.
    Basically, just what you said. Whatever the reason, all other things being equal, you won't get the same amount of light out of two 2' bulbs as one 4' bulb, even though they nominally consume they same electrical power. Don't mind me, though. It's only of interest to those who are OC about lighting efficiency. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img]

The range of quality and specs within a single length can vary greatly, that's true. The 'complete spectrum' bulbs tend to produce very few lumens (although better balanced spectra) compared to the more conventional cool whites.
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least one twin bulb 4 foot fixture (the more the merrier), and as Tony states try to keep the surface of the pots as close to the tubes as possible for the best results. A rack will allow for possible expansion in the future, and will allow you to put the plants where you want them, instead of being confined to the window area. If you can do away with glass or plastic between the lights and the plants, this is MUCH better than terrarium culture. Even with forced air heating a film of vinyl draped down the front of the rack will allow for most species cultivation (not NEps or Heli's though). Good luck.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, this is what i did. I took all the light starved plants that seem to have smaller leaves (not too many, just few like D.montana tomentosa, hamiltonii, etc) placed them in a terraium, and but 2 flourescents over it. I went out a bought 2 fixtures with some very bright bulbs. Thanks for all the help-Zach
    Taproot, Anti-Flag, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, Eleventeen, Deadsy, AFI...what's not to love?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12