Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Share your worst plant disaster

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The funnist failure I had was when I first started growing cp's. First plant I had was a vft. I was about 13 years old. I quickly killed it by playing with it too much and basicly not knowing how to grow it. My second cp was also a vft, but this time I was 26. I again quickly killed it, by not knowing how to grow it. I gave it well water and I didn't give it enough sunlight. I know you are thinking this is not really that funny. The funny part is that both times I lived in Southeastern North Carolina. Right in the middle of the vft growing range. All I had to do to get the plants to survive was to put them outside. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]
    One other funny/sad story happened to a guy that I sold plants to. He was 15 years old, He bought a vft from me. The next week he came back and bought a S.purpurea, D.intermedia, D.capensis and a D.capillaris. He asked me if I could get other plants for him. I said sure. He ordered over $70 worth of plants. I can't remember what all he ordered, but he ordered alot of plants including S.flava, S.minor, S.rubra, a ping, a resurection plant a sensetive plant, ect ect ect.
    I sent him an email about a month later and asked how his plants were doing and he told me that his sisters cat ate all of them, including the roots. I felt so bad for him. I know $70 was alot of money for a 15 year old, so I offered to give him some plants for free and if he wanted to order more plants I would sell them to him at my cost, but he told me he didn't want anymore until he found a way to keep his sister's cat away from them. I even offered to help him build an enclosure for the plants but I guess he never regained his interest.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol Cats seem to figure into these disasters in a big way. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img] I wonder which is worse...cats or squirrels. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me that is a easy choice,,squirrels, Cat's have killed 0 of my plants squirrels have killed hundreds.

Well, I think most people here know my story by now. Basically, My mother killed my whole collection, including some very large rare nepenthes. I'll never completely forgive her for all the time, energy, and money that has now gone by the wayside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I have repeated my story a bunch of times, too. But sharing helps me feel better. Basically, I dropped a N.rafflesiana on my N.campanulata (about a year ago) while pruning, and decapitated it. It did not recover, and was quite a tragedy in my small world. Someday I will purchase another, and it will grow vigorously and be kept away from those dastardly, jealous rafflesianas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear that, trashcan. I really like my campanulata, and i can understand your feeling of loss.

I have something to add. It has been windy - not windy, blow your hat off windy, but windy, shake the house and blow tree branches off windy - here in Boston the last two days. One of my sarrs out on the fire escape will be getting a new cultivar name ... if i ever find it again. S. x'Dorothy'. I guess it's off dancing with the tin woodsman and scarecrow. *sigh*
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone will find that plant in their yard and say, "What an interesting plant, I wonder what it is?" Eventually, they'll find their way to these forums and you will have started a new CP addict!

SF

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yuppersness... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]

And then if they are some immature bleep, D. musc. will tell them it used to be his kindly and then they will yell in all caps "WELL I DIDN'T KNOW AND YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO BE TO RUDE ABOUT IT IT'S NOT LIKE I STOLE IT OR ANYTHING NOW YOU MADE ME MAD NOW I OFFICIALLY HATE THIS FORUM AND ALL CARNIVOROUS PLANTS GOOBYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

*snickers and tries to hold back fit of laughter*
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast