What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Share your worst plant disaster

• Thread starter PlantAKiss
  • Start date
[b said:
Quote[/b] (CaptainDrosera @ Nov. 27 2003,4:01)]BAM!!! My plants BLEW up and I never saw them again. jk
-Captain Drosera
p.s. You'll NEVER guess my secret identity
Everyone has feelings
Captain Drosera, I think you keep asking the wrong question.
You should ask if anybody cares about your secret identity. The answer will be NO!!!! Nobdy cares.
And yes droseradude we know who you are.
laugh.gif

well, I'm not the one saying stuff about an anonymous alter ego. Who do you think I am?
blues.gif

Who are you? or What are you? Please stop this annoying nonsense.

Both your identities.  Captain Drosera = Alan and DroseraDude is Matt, right?

This has to stop sometime! (I can't find a smiley with a slightly frustrated look)

SF
rock.gif

Sarraceniaobs: Oh my god, and I thought dogs were the only 'alright' pets along with fish for plants lol! The only bad experienced was with dog vs rabbit (sorry a little off-topic). I was raising 9 rabbits under my poarch (hmm typo?) last year, 2 mothers and 7 babies... One afternoon, one of my roomates (the one with the cats in my post... there is some kind of relativeity to the post finally :p) went to threw vegetable over the compost pile and found all rabbits dead in the garden, with a part of tomatoes and squash messep up... All dead, a dog went through the rabbit cage and killed them all for 'fun': not even a single one was eaten... But still nothing on the plants yet... But I must admit I am very suspicious now about the pets :p...

Just a quick note: even all the sadness and frustration of lossing plants cannot be really justified, to my eyes, to a person which kill some/all your plants, if this wasn't intentionally...

A frequent deception in CP is when you give the responsability to someone near you to take care of your plants when you're away... Be sure you'll most likely be dispointed on your return (especially if you are away for a while), but you can't hate them for this: they try to help you out with something they will perhaps never be as knowledgeable as you about, and they aren't propably knowing how much really these plants are precious to you (even a mother or a close friend cannot realize sometime). They were simply trying to help you out, and without them, your plants would have died anyway, alone (you surely lost less plants by letting them caring than if you would have let them alone...). Even with all the precautions you made, all the recipes you made, all the caring sheets you made, this person will not be able to be as careful with these plants as you do. I know what it is, I lived it several time in the past 7-8 years I grew CP. Even this summer, I thought I think of anything could be helpful for the 'keeper' of my plants, but I was wrong. So don't be mad at them... forever! I can understand your sudden angryness, but I don't think anybody deserve to be yelled at him/her, or that your reactions toward this person should change for this: very few people can understand the way we think about our plants, and very few know how our plants 'really works' (just my mother when she fertilize one of my first VFT with pure fish emulsion...)... The better way to avoid such dispointment? Make cutting before you leaves, and share plants!

It was my 2 cents about it, and I thought it was interesting to show it...

I got an almost disaster. Last winter I got my first N.bical. It took it a while to recover from being shipped, then I had to repot it. So that set it back a little too.
This summer it recovered really good. I had 4 pitchers open. Pretty big pitchers too.
I had some guppies in my rain barrel. I had a few that died, so I did what any other cp'er would do. I recycled the fish into my nice big N.bical pitchers. Within a day they all started turning black, every pitcher died. The plant lived and seems to be recovering. I still don't have alot of pitchers on it like I did before I feed it the guppies.

ok, thats a lesson for nep growers then- no fish. what did you have guppies in a barrel for?
rock.gif
smile.gif

Probably to eat baby mosquito's?

that seems like a good explanation. OR putting a BLADDERWORT in there would perhaps do the trick. that would rock.
wow.gif

I bought 12 guppies to go in 3 55 gallon barrels. 4 in each one. I put them in there to eat mosquitos and algae. They mutiplied so fast that within two months I had about 30 guppies in each barrel.

elgecko: er... what plant are we suppose to be looking at? That package looks pretty beat up.

IceDragon,
It had a little Cephalotus follicularis that did not make it.
sad.gif

When i was 10 i bot this very large Dionaea from a Hardware store back in the day Well anywas my older sister had this friend who loved to pick on me and they both knew that i loved that plant very much and how i would take really good care of it! And one day i was coming back from school and i went over to the Tank i was keeping it in (Yeah back then i grew everything in Fish tanks) lol Ok back to" my" story! and when i went over to water it she put huge bettles in all the traps! whitch made them all turn black the next day! was i mad! u bet and the next day when i saw her i use to play with one of those crazy! dazy u know the flower that shot's out water when u hook u up to the hose! well i started hitting her with it whitch made my crazy dazy break whitch made me mader! Yeah i guess you could say im crazy! but i was so mad oh well its in the past and yes that flytrap i had did die!
sad.gif

lol drew , i would've just pulled a prank on her . anyways , i'm starting to get disastors with mocking bird and ther feather friends , so far they have pecked at my plants , especially the gemmae from my pygmies and have knocked over my pot of heliamphora , i swear i am going to catch that bird .
mad.gif

mine would be puting a venus flytrap in tapwater right after i read adrian slacks book
tounge.gif

Oliver

Well I have a good story now...

I had recently moved some plants outside to get some sun. After all its December (summer down here) so you don't get a lot of rain, so all the plants should be happy. A number of the plants I moved out were seedlings that had been hardened off under cover so they can deal with the elements. I keep the pots in plastic trays that are deeper than the pots. This stops the pots getting to hot and to stop the trays getting to full I have holes in the side of most, and the ones I didn't have holes in shouldn't matter anyway as the water would have to raise at least an inch to even come close to the soil level, which dosn't happen in December, does it??

I was woken to the sound of running water last night. You couldn't hear rain on the roof just a roar of running water! We got 3 times the average monthly rainfall yesterday, 120mm!!! The rain was so intense during the night, (which is when thsese things happen!!) that potting mix had been sprayed onto shadecloth 40cm above the pots, so you can imagine what happened to the seedlings. Even the trays with holes flooded because the drain holes cloged with potting media! I now have about 60 empty seedling pots, about half of which were rare (in Australia) pings which I was trying to get some growth on before the hot weather kicked in. The plants that weren't washed away were damaged, even adult pygmies were trashed, a D. barbidgera was completely uprooted! The only things that escaped unharmed were the adult Sarra's, although a couple need a bit more media...

The gods must have been feeling sorry for me as there was a pot with 2 filiformis 'red' seedling in it. The pot was comletely submerged and when I drained it both seedling were still there! Although they were in different spots in the pot to where they were not long ago!! The only other seed pot to survive was one pot of P. mundii. The other piece of luck was I moved the P. poldini under cover the previous night to stop it getting to hot of all things.

At least we didn't get hail which people copped just to the north of us, which trashed a number of cars (Toyota has a large holding yard there, ouch)

All up a very depressing sight to see pot after pot completelty destroyed...

http://www.news.com.au/common....00.html

George

IceDragon:
Is that a Tranformer "more than meets the eye"? I use to have tons of those back in the youngin' days. If it is a Transformer - the Red Truck *if you remember* is going for about 65 dollars on E-Babe. That was my prized Transformer that I got for Christmas. O'well that is a sweet avator. Some really interesting stories going on here.

Travis

Wow George...what a horrible storm!  Here in Richmond, we just went through that in September when hurricane Isabel ripped in.  Normally we are too far inland to get too much affects from hurricanes but Isabel was an exception.  I had no electricity for 13 days.  I just heard that 10,000 trees were felled just in Richmond alone...and a lot of those went into homes.  It was a sickening sight to see.  
sad.gif
 You can still see the damage...there are heaps of tree and limbs debris as well as uprooted tree stumps everywhere you look.  It will be a long time before things are put pack to order as best you can minus 10,000 trees and crushed homes and businesses.

Thankfully we had notice of the storm that you didn't...so I tucked my CPs away and they were fine.

Mother Nature always reminds us of who is boss and that it is by her courtesy that we remain here.  
smile.gif

Suzanne

Back