Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Share your worst plant disaster

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everybody who has been growing CPs for a while has experienced some kind of plant disaster whether by your own hand or "external forces beyond your control."

It can be very frustrating and disheartening at the time. So I thought maybe if people shared some of their disaster stories (and any happy recoveries), it might give heart to anyone who's feeling bad about losing something special. It happens to everyone from the newest newbie to the most experienced at one time or another. In this sense, everyone is on the same level! And maybe we can learn some "to do"s or "NOT to do"s!

Maybe after everyone has shared, we can vote on who had the most tragic and/or funny story. They can be crowned King/Queen of CP Disasters. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

So...have at it! Lets hear those stories. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

"Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worst disaster huh? How about this. I was trying to cut a basal shoot off my N. Coccinea and in one nice swift motion cut off the main stem. Smooth huh? So, I now have two ft worth of stem lying on the ground, I felt pretty stupid. Anyways, I had just gotten the Savage Garden from the library and so I thought, "Aha! All is not lost! All I have to do is make cuttings!" Well, I tried to make cuttings. I failed miserably. The key thing I missed was the vertical slits up the sides of the stem. So, my one and only Nepenthes got a haircut that was way too short and I lost the opportunity for 10+ baby plants.

That was my worst mistake, so far. (Knock on wood).

SF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess the worst thing that's happened to my cps was really not that bad. I bought one of those tiered shelved greenhouses and put all my cps in it. I staked it to the ground so it wouldn't blow over. We had several 30-35 mph windstorms but nothing seemed to faze it. But then one night we had very strong winds, probably 60+ mph blowing west. The greenhouse broke in the middle and dumped my cps on the ground. I didn't lose any, except maybe 2 or 3 small vfts. Since the greenhouse was trashed i decided to buy a bigger sturdier one. So i got 6 ft x 4 ft x 6 ft tall one. It had 10" spikes on the posts that stuck in the ground. I even modified parts of it to make it even more sturdy. Then one night we got 2-3" of rain which saturated the ground. We again got strong westward winds, probably only 45-50 mph this time. And since the ground was so wet the stakes were easily pulled out of the ground by the wind. So then the greenhouse blow over and knocked my shelves over that my cps were sitting on. I only lost 2 small vfts this time. Both of these storms and cp dumpings occurred this past summer, about a month apart. This is part of the reason why i built an in the ground bog. Now if my green house blows 3 counties away nothing will bad will happen to my cps!

-buckeye

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -My cat ate my U. humboldtii twice.
    -A fungus rampaged through my Sarr collection and I lost a total of 7 plants
    -The dog decided the U. gibba tray was good for drinking then flipping over and smearing all over the sunporch
    -The batch of unmonitored kids at my old apartment complex stole my pineapple and S. oreophila and I didn't find them for 3 day (bare rooted and not happy at all.)
    -The same brat kids knocked over my H. heterodoxa x minor that had 8" pitcher, it died not long after that.
    - The A/C failed while I was away for 10 days and the room my CPs were in broke 120F, half of my (luckily at the time small) collection was roasted.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down

I lost all my standard U. livida, sandersonii, subulata [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] ! as well as my D. capensis [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif[/img] and possibly my U.dichotoma [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img] I think something got in my water. The rest of my plants look really bad but are starting to comeback [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] I think its my fault, I have been working way way to hard lately and wasnt paying attention, thankfully I did notice something was wrong before I lost all my rarer Utrics and Pings.... I didnt loose anything I cant easily replace!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

Two springs ago I repotted two S. leucophyllas, and lost both of them. They were nice mature plants. However, my worst plant disaster would be the "barrel water purge" so commonly refered to by Homer and myself. One spring I was taking my plants out of dormancy and used water from my parents wine/wisky barrel fountain. The barrels had a lot of old leaves and other junk that had been sitting and saturating the water with nutrients. Never the less, I lost a few sarracenia and a few dorsera in this case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine would be the dreaded "Micacle Gro" bog. I put together a third container bog for my back porch. I didn't notice the peat I was using was impregnated with Miracle Gro. I hadn't noticed there was such a thing as they also had peat with no Miracle Gro. I finally figured it out when everything started to die. I managed to save most of it, but lost a vft in the process.

Caplsock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A year ago we got a new "psycho napoleon complex" landlord where we lived. He destroyed the backyard, including my kiddie pool bog, cut down 8 maple trees, ripped out our gardens and put in, ugghhhhhh an asphalt parking lot.

Blue Jays dug out young pitcher plants from the pots on the 3rd floor fire escape and I found the plants dried up on the ground downstairs.

This spring our dog, Gypsy, learned a new game called grab the potted CPs and run around the yard then throw them up in the air and chew up the containers. Lost about 10 Sarracenia that way. She has made up for it by killing and keeping the squirrels at bay this fall. That's a MUCH better game.

WildBill

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast