What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SuperThrive?

I was wondering if superthrive really works. Hearing lots of mixed oppinions about this product, I once and for all want to learn the real truth about this product!
mad.gif

I have some and was wondering if it would help my carnivorous plants any, I plan on using it on my new Nepenthes and three newly potted bareroot venusflytrap.
I've heard that it reduces shock greatly and encourages new root growth.

I do use Superthrive. And to be honest, I can't say that I see any difference. I've heard many people swear by its benefit to their plants. I even had the clerk at my local Greenhouse swear all her plants (personal collection) had better growth. I see a lot of people say "I used some Superthrive and my plants had a growth spurt." Well...you can use Superthrive but how do you KNOW, if the plant seems to do better afterwards, whether thats from the ST or some other environmental/culitvation influence?

I've heard repeatedly its good for root shock so, like I said, I do use it sometimes on some transplants and such.

Maybe someone could do an experiment with a control...use SuperThrive on one and not the other and see what happens.
smile.gif
I do believe the directions call for its use WITH fertilizer. I could be wrong but seems I remember that. But hey...I'm old and covered in mold. My memory is dusty.
biggrin.gif

Suzanne

Rob Cantley did so. Read his test on http://www.borneoexotics.com ... he saw no difference between untreated plants and those treated with super-thrive.

I do personally strongly believe that you do not need such things. Buy some literature instead and don't shock the plants with false cultivation.

Jan

Interestingly, though, Rob did find that almost all the other supplements helped most of the plants in some way.

When treating a shipped nep for shock with Superthrive, do you dip the whole plant in a solution of it, or just the roots, or water it with it, or what?

I and my friend used Superthrive when we divided and repotted Sarracenia this spring. We did not lose a single plant, and every plant that we used the rooting hormone with, had really great year. This was not a scientific study, so there could be outside factors for the results. In our opinion though, we liked the product, and plan on using it again.

I have often used the stuff on rescued vfts and many other times, I didn't bother or forgot to use it and I've seen no difference with or without it.

All my sarracenia seedlings are being overwintered but have been slowing down during the last few weeks. I dosed them on Sunday but won't see them until Saturday. I should be able to judge if the Superthrive has done anything since I haven't seen them for a while.

Well, I am a proponent of superthrive, I think it's great stuff... but I think it can be overused as well.

Superthrive is basically growth hormone and VB12, and it doesn't effect visible foliage like many would think, it encourages the plant to build stronger roots, and that is it, this helps your plant deal with stress by giving it a healthy root s system to draw upon.

I can't back up what i am saying here with truth, but I can tell you I haev a few passion vines that are around the same age... and this may not sound like an endorsement, but in a way it is... 2 passion vines, nearly identical (same species) planted in identical pots within 10 ft of one another... One I used super thrive on, the other I didn't. (I stressed out the one really bad the year before.) anyhow... long story short... the one that has been superthrived looks almost identical to the other one... with one major exception... when I water them, the one that has been superthrived goes through it's water twice as fast, and in a pot, and the texas heat, droops faster... interesting... why?

Stick your finger in it's pot and you will find nothing but roots... and I mean that, it is the most root bound plant I have ever seen and I can't afford to re-pot it... were talking... 100 dollar pots here to fit this bad boy... his root system, in my opinion, is OVER developed.

THe other passion vine seems to be more evenly adapted, and is par for the course with the other few that I have, it's getting root bound, but isn't quite there yet... certainly not to the degree that the other is.

Take it for what it's worth... I think you get better roots out of it, but I can't prove it... and prooving it, is what remains superthrives perpetual problem.

I've also used superthrive. Mainly i use it to soak bare root plants i get in the mail. I've never lost any that i use it on. But sometimes i would forget to use it and those bare roots also survive. One time i mixed some superthrive up and put it in the pitchers of some of my sarrs. I did notice some extra growth but there are so many other factors that could have caused this. Another time i mixed it with fertilizer and water and poured it on some cantaloupes in my mom's garden. The plants went crazy and doubled their vine size in about a week! And since the suprerthrive bottle says it works best when added to a regular mixture of fertilizer, i can see why it worked so well. Of course mixing it with fertilizer and putting it on cps is impossible because the strong fertilizer would kill them. I say if you want to try superthrive then go right ahead. As long as you mix it according to the label you shouldn't have any problems with it.

-buckeye

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Superthrive is basically growth hormone and VB12, and it doesn't effect visible foliage like many would think, it encourages the plant to build stronger roots, and that is it, this helps your plant deal with stress by giving it a healthy root system to draw upon.

Really?? I did not know that. I always thought it caused increased foliage growth. So the cantaloupe vines i tried superthrive on must have grow faster because of the fertilizer iit was mixed with. Well i guess if the plant did get a larger, stronger root system that in turn could cause more foliar growth due to the increase in its ability to draw up water, nutrients, etc. Hmmm, maybe i'll try using this stuff more now!

-buckeye

There has been evidence to show that vitamin B1 is effective for reducing stress and helping in transplant shock in plants. Superthrive contains B1 so it should prove useful for treatment when transplanting etc or at other times when a plant is stressed. It is not a rooting hormone or fertilizer however.

Perhaps what people interpret as a boost in growth is related to superthrives ability to help a plant overcome stress and in doing so the plant grows better for a short time. If this is the case then a plant which is growing well in a stress free environment already and has a strong healthy root system will not benefit from periodic applications.

Tony

I believe the superthrive does help a bit. I'm sure that perfect care of a plant withought ST will give as good results. Sort of like humans who take vitamins and ones that don't but eat healthy food instead.

Over a year ago I gave my nep a super overdose of ST. Now I'm talking 500% and watered every day for three weeks kind of craziness. Well, it grew oddly with deformed pitchers and leaves. After washing out the pot and resuming regular watering the plant EXPLODED in leaves and stems. The pitchers are still deformed, but that's due to humidity fluctuations.

I got it from pft as a 'lil 3" high plant, you can see what it looks like a year and a half later. None of my other neps have grown as much as this one. It might be coincidence, it might be genetics. I for one can't help but notice that it's twice the size of my other neps.
Superthrived N. ventricosa

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]All my sarracenia seedlings are being overwintered but have been slowing down during the last few weeks. I dosed them on Sunday but won't see them until Saturday. I should be able to judge if the Superthrive has done anything since I haven't seen them for a while.

Well they don't seem to have grown any, although that is perhaps because they are not getting enough light to grow much, just enough to overwinter. Maybe they have bigger roots though
biggrin.gif

One plant however has gone on a mini growth spurt however - it's growing 4 new pitchers which is is good for a seedling as they only usually grow one at a time.

Where does one purchase Superthrive? Does Home Depot sell it?

I'm surprized Home Depot carries rooting hormones!

No no, Superthrive must be obtained through an offical nursury type outlet. such as right here at PFT and charleysgreenhouse.

I have used Superthrive for 15 years on CP of all types. All I know is the stress of shock does seem to be considerably lessened by the use of thrive. When potting up, use 5 drops to the gallon and soak the rhizome for 10 or 15 minutes while you prepare the pot. Place the plant in its home and pour the thrive over the rhizome and let it run through the pot. (Use only enough to cover the rhizome, and pour that over the potted up plant.) I have used it on every CP there is with great transplant results. I do only use it in the spring when plants are potted up, divided, etc. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Don't O.D. your plants. Occasional use only.

OOh OOH, I know about this. The two plants I had on my windowsill last year (N. bongso x maxima, and N. sanguinea). I liberally used superthrive on them every 3 weeks. When I unpotted them (the stems were almost two feet long with 5" pots), the plants were rediculously root bound. Half the sphagnum seemed like it was roots! I never did get to repot those two...

I was able to find superthrive at my local Lowe's store. Might be that ST is a local company
tounge.gif

I have found Superthrive at Home Depot.

I'll check it out tomorrow, at work.

Back