Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SuperThrive?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

I was wondering if superthrive really works. Hearing lots of mixed oppinions about this product, I once and for all want to learn the real truth about this product! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif[/img]
    I have some and was wondering if it would help my carnivorous plants any, I plan on using it on my new Nepenthes and three newly potted bareroot venusflytrap.
    I've heard that it reduces shock greatly and encourages new root growth.
    I thought you people where \"Plant Geeks\", Look at me Now...

Growing List-
    http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17062

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do use Superthrive. And to be honest, I can't say that I see any difference. I've heard many people swear by its benefit to their plants. I even had the clerk at my local Greenhouse swear all her plants (personal collection) had better growth. I see a lot of people say "I used some Superthrive and my plants had a growth spurt." Well...you can use Superthrive but how do you KNOW, if the plant seems to do better afterwards, whether thats from the ST or some other environmental/culitvation influence?

I've heard repeatedly its good for root shock so, like I said, I do use it sometimes on some transplants and such.

Maybe someone could do an experiment with a control...use SuperThrive on one and not the other and see what happens. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] I do believe the directions call for its use WITH fertilizer. I could be wrong but seems I remember that. But hey...I'm old and covered in mold. My memory is dusty. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Suzanne
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

drosera guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob Cantley did so. Read his test on http://www.borneoexotics.com ... he saw no difference between untreated plants and those treated with super-thrive.

I do personally strongly believe that you do not need such things. Buy some literature instead and don't shock the plants with false cultivation.

Jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interestingly, though, Rob did find that almost all the other supplements helped most of the plants in some way.

When treating a shipped nep for shock with Superthrive, do you dip the whole plant in a solution of it, or just the roots, or water it with it, or what?
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I and my friend used Superthrive when we divided and repotted Sarracenia this spring. We did not lose a single plant, and every plant that we used the rooting hormone with, had really great year. This was not a scientific study, so there could be outside factors for the results. In our opinion though, we liked the product, and plan on using it again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have often used the stuff on rescued vfts and many other times, I didn't bother or forgot to use it and I've seen no difference with or without it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All my sarracenia seedlings are being overwintered but have been slowing down during the last few weeks. I dosed them on Sunday but won't see them until Saturday. I should be able to judge if the Superthrive has done anything since I haven't seen them for a while.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I am a proponent of superthrive, I think it's great stuff... but I think it can be overused as well.

Superthrive is basically growth hormone and VB12, and it doesn't effect visible foliage like many would think, it encourages the plant to build stronger roots, and that is it, this helps your plant deal with stress by giving it a healthy root s system to draw upon.

I can't back up what i am saying here with truth, but I can tell you I haev a few passion vines that are around the same age... and this may not sound like an endorsement, but in a way it is... 2 passion vines, nearly identical (same species) planted in identical pots within 10 ft of one another... One I used super thrive on, the other I didn't. (I stressed out the one really bad the year before.) anyhow... long story short... the one that has been superthrived looks almost identical to the other one... with one major exception... when I water them, the one that has been superthrived goes through it's water twice as fast, and in a pot, and the texas heat, droops faster... interesting... why?

Stick your finger in it's pot and you will find nothing but roots... and I mean that, it is the most root bound plant I have ever seen and I can't afford to re-pot it... were talking... 100 dollar pots here to fit this bad boy... his root system, in my opinion, is OVER developed.

THe other passion vine seems to be more evenly adapted, and is par for the course with the other few that I have, it's getting root bound, but isn't quite there yet... certainly not to the degree that the other is.

Take it for what it's worth... I think you get better roots out of it, but I can't prove it... and prooving it, is what remains superthrives perpetual problem.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast