What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

POPUPS!!

• Thread starter Daniel
  • Start date
I've been constantly been bombarded with popups. I know something on my computer already downloaded is creating them. Cause basically they are the same popup over and over again. But lately, when I click on internet explorere, they set my homepage to some weird site, and give me 10 more popups. My usually default site is blank, and after i change it back to blank, IT ALTERS AGAIn. So i'm getting annoyed anyway how to get rid of it. FUNNY THING IS, one of the popup is GET RID OF POPUPS NOW.

You can download the google.com toolbar.  It has a built in popup blocker.  Or go to download.com and download the Pop-Up Stopper Free Edition 3.1.101 made by panicware.  Both are completely free. These will block those popups but i think you may actually have some spyware on your computer.

-buckeye

I think this thing on www.smileycentral.com has a "PopSwatter." Also it has a cool thing where you can put neat smileys on your e-mail and AIM.
smile.gif

DKiM if your home page is being reset then you have some annoying little program installed on your computer that is doing it for you. Those pop up swatter programs will probably cause your computer to crash if you run them and have that other proggy instaled at the same time.
Go into your control panel, have a look at the add/remove programs list, and see if there are any programs in there that look suspicious, ones that you don't recall installing or that you are sure you don't use. If you find one that looks like it is an advertising prog then uninstall it.

Cheers, Troy.

The latest versions of Netscape, Mozilla, and several other browsers have a pop-up stopper built-in. You just have to activate it. Also, you can stop some pop-ups by disabling javascript.

Hi,

Pop up blockers are nice, but they are attacking the symptom of the problem, not the cause (if it is something you downloaded, and not the websites you are visiting). I would recommend using an adware cleaner. I would recommend Ad-Aware, you can download it here: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

If you are still having pop-ups after using this program.. I would recommend either trying a pop-up blocker, or trying a browser with pop-up blocking built in. There are several add-ons for Internet Explorer, but I don't know which is the best because I don't use it.

If you'd like to try a different browser, here is the one I use:
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/
Beware that some sites are only designed to work in Internet Explorer, and may not work properly in this browser.. Everything works great for me, but your mileage may vary.

Hope that helps!

SPYWARE That is what it is. Here is some info. on it.

What is Spyware?

Overview

Spyware commonly refers to software that gathers personal information from your computer, sometimes without your knowledge. This information is often used for advertising purposes. Spyware may cause your computer to slow down or encounter errors. Spyware has also been known to cause unwanted pop-up advertisements, an inability to connect to the Internet, or problems printing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Details

Spyware applications may be bundled as a hidden component of freeware or shareware programs that can be downloaded from the Internet. Once installed, spyware can monitor your activity on the Internet and transmit that information to a third party. Spyware could also gather information about e-mail addresses, passwords, and even credit card numbers.

A common way to get spyware is through installation of file-swapping programs that are used to download music and movies from the Internet. Third-party spyware removal software can sometimes be found available for download from the Internet.

I know because my computer informed that it had detected it in my computer. It becomes a problem just after you install something off the web. Oh, by the way don't download hotbar, by Hotbar.com. It is a scource of spyware and other things that cause pop-ups. It is also not so wise that you use something that blocks pop-ups bucause then you are not aware of spyware and, just like it says, it spies on you computer and may take pesonal info that you don't want shared. Just my 2/10 of a penny.
blues.gif
cool.gif

Trashcan's right, pop-ups are a symtom of the problem and pop-up stoppers won't prevent your home page from being changed. It sounds like you have a hi-jacker program. Another program to try if Ad-Aware doesn't work is SpyBot Search & Destroy which is also called SpyBot S & D. If you go to the bottom of the web page you will find the download sites listed. Be careful with it though, as you can delete the auto-login folder for passwords that you use to automatically log on to the forum and other sites. If you haven't got them written down someplace it can be a real bummer
biggrin.gif
. Not that I know that from experience of course
wink.gif
tounge.gif

smile.gif

BCK

I use oprea as my browser, It stops all popups and it's a better browser than netscape or ie explorer
Get it from oprea.com

BCK hit it right on the nose. Download that program and watch your worries be deleted.

joe

hehe my worries are over, they are all gone!!

Glad to here that
biggrin.gif
! How'd you get rid of them?
rock.gif

used ad aware 6.0. VFT in Sj helped me out on that one. It was efficient and found 432 different spyware stuff on my computer =D.

Well the real thanks goes to Andrew.. He taught me about ad-aware.. I just forwarded his info to you.

Steve

Yeah, sure is a great program huh?  For those of you that would like to check it out.  You can get it here.  Just go down in the middle and choose a download location.  Best part...  It's FREE!!!  lol
Andrew

P.S.  Sorry I didn't jump in and sugest that earlyer...  That's why we teach people right?  ...so they can help spread the word???  
--Andrew

Ad-Aware is a great program and is very user friendly. It does a good job of finding the spyware crud some programs load when they run. These programs don't always do the reverse though and remove the spyware when you uninstall the program. They conveniently 'forget' to remove it for some reason. Which would explain why you had so many of them on your computer. The worst I ever had was like 23 (knock on wood). I have since started running a firewall program (Zone Alarm free version), AVG anti-virus (free program), and a couple other programs to clean junk files every now and then.

smile.gif

BCK

Zone Alarm is also an excelent program as BCK pointed out.  Gotta love it huh?!
Although it'll never replace a hardware firewall...  or will it?
:p
Andrew

Also, as I see it. Those of you on dial up that look for the quick solution to being faster... Don't download those Connection improvers. Shure they make it seam faster... why? because it saves each web page you go to. So the next time you go to that page, it is retrieved from your computer instead of the internet therefor "appearing" faster. What is the problem with that? ...you view an old version of the page, not the new one. So you gotta go and hit "refresh" to see the new version of the page... and THAT ends up taking more time than just waiting in the first place.

Also, those programs that "Free valuable memory" I never noticed it help at all... So, unless you never reboot your system. I don't see how those could help either. I rairly reboot. I always "hybernate" my system. Which stores all stuff in the memory to the hard drive. Then when you turn the computer back on. It "restores" your computer to the state it was in. I reboot only for installs... Problems... etc etc. so maybe once or twice a week. And I don't have this "memory steeling" problem. Seems like just another program to sit and run in the back ground and take resources. ....and probably installing those beautiful spyware programs.
-Hope this info helps someone. :)

DKim, I noticed the same with many of these popups, before I got this popup blocker with my change to NetZero... WAHOO!!! Anyway, I've noticed some strrraaannnngggge popups.... One said "FREE NINJA TEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

O... k...

and then there was the "ELIMINATE POPUPS NOW WITH OUR FREE POPUP BLOCKER PROGRAM!!!!!!!!" popup.
laugh.gif
How ironic!

And then there have been a couple that look like they belong somewhere in the X-rated corner of the Internet..

*attacks popup with cursor* Must.. run.. away... must.. run.. FAR.. FAR.. AWAY......

I say, when you see a popup, PUNCH IT!
biggrin.gif

Back