What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I use this sand?

• Thread starter LenG444
  • Start date
I was just wondering if I can use this sand

Sand

Yes indeed. Silica sand is what you want. I suggest you rinse it well prior to its use to remove any associated mineral dust.

Cool thanks for the info. I knew I could use silica sand but its says "For use with natural gas log sets only"

I was just wondering if that type of silica sand would be different but I guess not..

Hey Len,
Yes you can use that sand but my suggestion is to get a five gallon bucket, go to any construction site (preferably a single family or town house) and you will always see a large pile of the same stuff. Ask the superintendant if you can steal a little. He won't say no and it is free. There is plenty here in the Old Coral Ridge section so if you need directions just Eme.
Just remember to wash it good.

I don't think I agree with Lauderdale. I'm a construction worker and I know that many constuction sites have different types of sand that is used for different things. You can't be 100% sure that you're getting pure silca sand. You also will never know if the sand has been contaminated with something that could harm your plants. Your best bet is to buy the sand so you'll know that you're getting the right stuff.

I would very much agree with you Ozzie.  I should have clarified that my info was strictly a local suggestion. By my not stating that, it could lead to somebody in another part of the U.S. stealing (Oops, borrowing) the wrong sand.
sad.gif

However, I knew that Lenny lives in Lauderdale by the Sea when I made my suggestion and in this area of Florida (Broward County) all sand used by the masons and stucco people comes from only three or four pits.  They mine only a very fine grade of pure silica sand.  It is commonly called "sugar" sand down here.  The limestone aggregate (our CPs would last about one week in it) quarrys are further south in Miami (Dade County) and it is used in the manufacturing of concrete, which was my business for many years.
wink.gif

Glad you caught my derfugalty...I should have engage my brain before posting...but after living here 43 years it is kinda easy to forget that the rest of the world is not built on sugar sand.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

No problem, Lauderdale. It's a very understandable mistake. I've been guilty of the same thing many times.

Back