What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Compact flourescents and CP's

Hi,
I'm just now starting to get back into cp's and was wondering if people have used compact florescent lighting for terrariums.I have 3 tanks with dartfrogs in them and am using them and my plants, bromiliads and other epiphytic plants, grow great with them.I bought my kits from www.ahsupply.com they are basically for aquariums but work great for the dartfrogs vivariums I have set up.They provide alot more lighting for the plants then the standard flourescents do.I just thought I'd throw this in and if other people have used them.THIS AN AWESOME FORUM!!!
Mark Wilson

welcome to pft!
smile.gif

I use compact flourescents on my plants. my cobra lily isnt thriving, ( I may have to check on it more carefully to see if its growing much) but the other plants seem ok. (butterwort, sundews, nepenthes.) the butterwort is flowering.perhaps not the best light-setup, but I think I'm sticking with it for now.
smile.gif

I'm growing several Nepenthes and Drosera under compact fluorescents, and they're doing great! Compact fluorescents are a really cool new innovation, imo. They offer a lot of light, aren't that expensive, and don't put off the heat of HID lighting. I have compact fluorescents, regular fluorescents, and MH HID lights, and if I were to buy another setup, I'd use compact fluorescents. Just make sure you're using the proper color range. There are 2700K bulbs out there that are much less efficient for plants than the 5000K or 6500K bulbs.

Capslock

Welcome to PFT!

I've got 4 VFTs, three S. Leucos (hold your sniggers, it's the best I can do for now), a D. Capensis and a U. Livida under a 100 watt CF bulb ina 10 gal tank, and all are doing well. The vfts have their trademark 'bit of pink' and even teh leucos have some color to them. If you are going to be using tanks, you may want to consider covering three sides of it with aluminum foil (leave the front side uncovered for viewing purposes). This will reflect more light back onto the plants, so less light is wasted.

Good luck!

Back