Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cultivar seed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got The Savage Garden from the library. I've been reading it constantly. Peter D'Amato (the author, as I'm sure almost all of you know) says more than once that you should not sow seed from cultivars.

Why is that? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read this somewhere before. I think the reason is that cultivars don't reproduce accurately from seed. Thus, if u were to grow cultivars from seed and label them as the cultivar, there's a fair chance of the misidentification being passed down and obscuring the true cultivar.

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can sow it, but you can't call it by it's cultivar name. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually if the progany are simular eneughto the parent you can! Or if they don`t you can call them by the cultivar name and add an f2 to the end,I would not destroy the seed as you may grow a plant thats actually better then it`s parent![img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but You can NOT call the progeny by that cultivars name, by the very definition 'cultivar' means that you are making a clone through the splitting of the plants tissue, it is a genetically specific individual.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then what do you call them?[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fact is, a cultivar has a published description, along with a photo. ANY plant, no matter how it is reproduced that exactly matches this description is the cultivar. No more, and no less. If it is in some wise different, it too may be registered with a different cultivar name. There is no stipulation that the material must be cloned. Some cultivars like Akai Ryu VFT can only be reproduced via cloning, but if I were to somehow create a form by seed that exactly matched the cultivar description, it too would be considered Akai Ryu. If in a clonal batch of Akai Ryu some plants do not exactly match the cultivar, they may not be considered as this, despite the origin of the material. Cultivar descriptions usually carry a suggested method of reproduction, but there is no absolute requirement that these methods MUST be employed, only that the resultant plant EXACTLY match the published description and photo. So, if you do reproduce from seed, you must be *acutely* aware of this published description, and apply it only to plants that conform in every respect with it, before you employ that name. Usually the suggested methods of reproduction will yield the true form, but if they don't, then the result is not the registered cultivar. That's it in a nutshell.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast