What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

December NECPS meeting

For anyone who can make it, the December NECPS meeting is on the new schedule, meeting Dec. 13th, at 12:30. Our meetings will now be held the 2nd Saturday of the month from now on.

We will be having the first annual CP Holiday Gift Swap where participants bring a wrapped CP related gift valued at around $6.00 or less. The gifts will be numbered and members will draw numbers out of a hat to see which gift they get. A related CP gift could be something you make, a potted plant, a pot, a CP toy, a bag of LFS or perlite, etc., anything somehow related to CPs.

This meeting should be a lot of fun with some very nice things at the auction table including a 1 & 1/2 year old tuberous Drosera gigantea contributed by yours truly.

Hope to see some new faces!!

WildBill

I wanna come!! When I get my license, I'm gonna rent a car and drive all the way up the country to come to one of your meetings! You guys are so lucky to have such meetings. Maybe the FLCPS will someday be like that....

SF

I'm planning a trip to you guys someday.....

Hey everyone -

For those of you debating whether to attend the meeting on Saturday...

In addition to a tuberous Drosera gigantea, I am bringing for the auction table a unique, one of a kind "Cephalotus Holiday Ornament." I just finished sculpting it out of FIMO polymer clay and I will next bake and paint it. It's about 3 1/2 inches tall by 1 1/2 inches wide. I don't have a digital camera, otherwise I would post a picture.

Also, I just got the following from John Phillip, our NECPS President:

"The December meeting will feature the presentation of awards from the October Carnivorous Plant show. There will be food and refreshments also to help us celebrate the first year, along with the usual swap table and silent auction. We will also have a Yankee swap for the exchange of presents. What?s a Yankee swap? If you?ve never been to one, I promise that you will enjoy it, the combination of exchanging presents and getting even with the person who outbid you on the silent auction! Members and guests who wish to participate should bring a gift, wrapped if possible, in the $6 range, relating to Plants or Carnivorous Plants. Things like a bag of sand, seeds, a book, anything that might be related to CPs. USE YOUR IMAGINATION!"

Hope to see some of you there.

WildBill

SO bummin'!! Can't make it out there this weekend....Just too much holiday stuff....I have three parties. Yes, three. Boy, is my head going to hurt on Monday!
Anywho, Bill, if you would be so kind, would you please be my proxy and accept the 3rd place ribbon for my tobaica for me?

No problem Dave. I'll mail it to you next week.

WildBill

Hey Everyone -

I just finished the Ceph Ornament! Here's a picture for those who want to see it before the NECPS auction tomorrow (I don't yet have a digital camera, so I just laid it on the scanner).

Cephorn.jpg

I wish I would have made more than one (and kept one for myself!). Maybe next year. Hope to see lots of you on Saturday.

WildBill

Wow that ornament is awesome Bill. You definately have some talent!
smile.gif

-buckeye

Hey everyone -

The meeting yesterday was great fun! The awards from the October show were handed out and Jeff Matheson cleaned up - with a stack of certificates including First, Second and Third for the Cephalotus category. The full list of awards is on the NECPS.org website. The First Annual Yankee Swap was great, I wish we could do it EVERY month! Some of the gifts were:

A HUGE magnificent cephalotus (the crowd went silent when it was opened), from guess who? Jeff M.
A set of CP Botanical prints
Soil testing kit
Brick of LFS
Jars of washed screened deionized pure quartsite sand & plant tags
A mini planting with a baby VFT red dragon, sundews, & Utricularia in a glass terrarium bowl
A CP coin & Stamp set
A beautiful glazed ceramic pot & dragonfly set
A potted baby Nepenthes (clipeata x ventricosa) x (clip. x vent.)
A terrarium fan & other items
Other items I can't remember.

John Phillip, President, brought in the winter issue of People Places and Plants magazine with a CP article mentioning our society, John, and they also printed a paragraph concerning conservation & to make sure you know where your plants come from. Nathan (D. muscipula on PFT) won the NECPS outstanding member award (and a gift certificate to Peter's store in CA.) this year for his contributions to the society and fantastic work on the website helping promote NECPS to the rest of the world.

At the auction John Phillip & Kirk Martin each took a Drosera gigantea and Dave Sackett, NECPS treasurer, walked away with the Ceph ornament.

There were some very nice plants on display too. We should have some pictures from the meeting up soon.

WildBill

Bill,
Did you post this just to torture me?
tounge.gif

Sounds like you guys had a great time.

Back