What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wind chill factor

Do plants "feel" the wind chill factor or strictly ambient temperature?  I ask this because we are having 65 degree nights...which is fine for all of my CPs...but with a twenty knot (gusts to thirty) sustained wind, that would make the wind chill factor in the mid fiftys, which is far below what my Bical and Tobaica are comfortable with.  Daytime temps get up into high seventies.
rock.gif

From my understanding, no with a bit of yes.

Now for the long answer...
All things have a 'micro environment' around them. This is the layer of air around and in emidiate contact with them. For example with us being warm blooded, we have a layer of warm air directly in contact with us. We are hairy (some more than others) to keep this warm air there. So when it's windy we get colder as this buffer layer is blown away. With something thats coldblooded or cold saped (just made that up, I wonder if you get warm saped plants?) like a plant that is the same temperature as the environment, stronger winds will not cool it down any more except through evaporative cooling which can be a problem (excluding solar heating). Wind reduces the humidity of the micro environment alowing more evaporation which will cool the plant. I would put a thermometer in a water tray (or a picher) and see what the water temp is, this will be a fair indicator of what is going on...

My major concern would be the 30 knot winds blowing the plants away!

I just spat this out of my over tired brain so in no way hold me to this!!

George

Lauderdale, it's THAT warm down there?! DANG!! I live just north of you, in Titusville (in Central Florida, juuuuust across the Indian River from the Kennedy Space Center), and it's already getting in the LOW fifties during the day and LLLLLLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW forties at night!

Thanks George. What you said makes sense. I am going to drape my grow area with a tarp on really cold nights and put a 150 watt light bulb in, or maybe two, to hopefully raise the temp a few degrees...I am hoping about 10.
FTG, It got down to 58 this morning but only for two hours. PM temps were in mid 70s so the troops didn't get hurt but I brought my coccenia, bical and tobaica inside.
smile.gif

FTG,

Typically there is a 5 to 10 degree difference in the winter between Central and South Florida. At least, there is every time I visit my Grandma in Melbourne.

SF

It reached around 48 deg last night.. My N.Coccinea's and all my Drosera did fine..

I am going to put them in the shed tonight.. I noticed alot of dry brown pitchers and slow growth.

I'm just going to have to keep my Cocciena's in these conditions untill I get one of those 3 shelved greenhouses.

Dang, it's in the thirties every night now... Iiiiiiii'm... dreamiiinnnng... of a whiiiiiiite... Christmaaaas...

Just two days ago, a thin layer of ice formed overnight over the water in a couple trays of my carnivorous plants. This was the first time I had witnessed this in my area. The ambient night temperature was in the mid-forties, which is considered very low in my area of CA. The weather was rather windy that day.

Back