What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heat packs used in shipping

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
I will be receiving a shipment of plants in about a month. It is now winter and the temps can go down to almost zero. The plants are cold tolerant and can take a soft freeze if potted, however these will be bare root. I have the option of adding a heat pack for a few extra dollars. Has anyone used these heat packs and do they work? The plants are coming from Florida and being shipped to me in Ohio via priority mail.

Thanks

at cooks , he is selling 40 hour heat packs , i'm guessing that he uses them and they work well , the only trick i see is how to make em last long enough .

Hi,

Heat packs are great. We use them all the time shipping fish. The trick is to get the 60 hour packs and have a large enough shipping thick styro box so the heat pack doesn't touch the plants or in my case fish. Tape the pack to the top or sometimes people will loosely wrap it in newspaper to help distribute the heat. I have always just taped mine to the top and made sure nothing touched it. The other trick is getting nice thick styro shipping boxes. Ask your vet, a biological research lab, your doctor, a hospital to save all their styro shipping containers for you and take them all and then just keep what you need.

Bobby

Back