Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone work on cars here?

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You alternator can go "half" bad and you may not get a warning light. If this is happening your alternator can be putting out enough to keep the warning light off but not enough to keep the battery charged.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I learned a while back that with cares, one thing can lead to another.

I had a starter go bad, same nasty smell and all... from what i can figure, it sent out a surge or something and fried a bundle of wires... I replaced the wires, and still nothing... I got hacked and started replacing everything between the steering column and the starter (that was related of course) and finally gave up and took it into a shop.

They replaced the 25 cent neutral safety switch in the transmission. (it screws into the outside like a plug and ensures your car is in neutral, no neutral, no start.) turns out when the surge went out, it had just enough juice left when it got to that switch to end it's life.

That being said, I agree, Jump it first. Make sure your belts are tight... you may have enough slippage so as your not getting a good charge, and, when you finally think you have everything fixed, take it for a nice long drive to make sure your battery is good to go.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The charging system can go "half bad" (meaning you blew one of the diodes in the rectifier) however it is usually the requlator that gives out and the cool little dash light comes on telling you to buy an altenator. So here is my theory (assuming no cool lights on dash), if the battery lasted a week with moderate driving and then decided not to start anymore you probably have a cabling problem such as the cables going to the battery terminals (most popular problem). If the lights are good and bright untill you turn the key, this is a good sign of cabling. Try turning the key untill you get the wonderfull burning smell and then check to see if you have a hot battery terminal, or just have a friend watch for smoke (don't worry it won't explode).

Another thought, just clean the battery terminals up real good and if you have aftermarket connecters take them off and clean the cable copper. metal brush works real well for this.

joe
    Signature.

Jeff Hasenflu 623N.Schenley Ave.Youngstown,Oh44509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    going to try and turn the car over by hand today and also test all the fuses inside the car. rampuppy - what does the neutral safety swtich exactly look like? thanks guys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    any update on this?

peace,
    tech...
    Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
    Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The N. safety switch may look something like this:

Safety Switch

Not your car, but here is another page with a image of a safety switch:

Jeep safety witch

Nick

Careful where you crawl, it might be a trap!

http://www.carnivorium.com
    http://www.buckeyecarnivores.com

Jeff Hasenflu 623N.Schenley Ave.Youngstown,Oh44509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks nick - well i turned the motor over by hand so its still good, all fuses are good - i give up [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img] looked for the safety switch under the car nothing. might be in the shifter colum?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bad engine? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif[/img]
    \"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.\"
    -- Oscar Wilde

http://www.nasarracenia.org/

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast