What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello

unknownclown

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!!
Hello again

Ok I think its a good thing Darcies thread has gotten back on track so I didnt wanna disrupt it yet again so Im startin this one since I really think its a shame that Dacie's posts had gone the direction it had. And I hope she doesnt feel bad in any sort of way when she comes back and finds what has happened in the thread she has started... Sorry Darcie I was just trying to keep the peace is all.

As far as me being a mod I no longer no what that means any more. I was selected by Phil to help him out to keep these boards friendly and to make sure people stuck to the rules...But nowadays I no longer feel that is even possible for any of us mods since any time we try we get our heads bitten off. I have asked Phil to remove me as a mod his reply was simply this....

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
you're not goin' anywhere

but I still feel the same, its now in my eyes impossible to do what Ive been appointed to do as a mod. Its no longer fun and when I try to enforce the rules to keep it fun it gets even worse. Maybe Ill feel different later on who knows, but right now I dont feel I as a mod have anything to offer these boards. And dont think Scotty or Vft guy in SJ that this is entirely because of your posts its been building up since the first person cried cesorship.

I honestly dont know if I will linger around as a member to be honest I have pretty much killed all my plants anyway aside from my sars since I really dont have the time or the mentality to even remember to keep them watered.
One way or the other I think Im going to dissapear for awhile if or when I come back and Im still a mod I guess Ill just go from there and figure out whats next.

Thanks everyone for the kind words everyone and sorry that this has gotten blown outta purportion. Ive met alot of good friends in the 2 years Ive been here and I do plan on keepin in touch with them all so this is in no way a good bye although somehow it feels that way.

Take care
Luvs ya all
wow.gif
<--- closest thing to a kiss on the smilies
tounge.gif

UKC, I have yet to update myself on that post so I have no idea what the heck. Although I think I can understand your delema with being a mod. Hang in there... It'll be ok. Please do keep in touch even if not on the board. Sorry to hear about your plants. But if your interested i'm sure it won't take much to get some back in your hands.
Andrew

Well, I for one don't want to think of a forum here without you. You've always acted in the way you thought best. OK, even if you blew it (and I am in no way implying that you did) then so what if you did? There isn't one Mod here who is a perfect player. There ain't no halos handed out to become a Mod. You just act from your best judgement, and if it's not spot on, then who the heck cares except those who want some sport in crying "Foul". There is no foul play here in any Mod, and anyone that considers that we in some how lord it over the dominated minions is sadly mistaken, and their opinion is worthless. I don't think Darcie is going to want you to bow out. Geez, were all friends here! No one wants to lose you Shelly. Heck, if you need some plants to keep you here I'll box them tonight and send them express to you! The thing is to be happy, and if this "job" is getting to you to the point where it isn't fun at all, then have a break, but please don't just quit! You talked me into not quitting once when the going got thick for me, so I hope you will let me return the favor. No one wants to lose you, and you do a great job of putting things into perspective with just a few well placed words. You always seem to have a good clear view of things, and I listen and place a great store in your opinion. That's all I want to say, except to add one more thing: I am getting really, really sick of hearing about the real or imagined issues of censorship on this Forum. If you have some problems about this issue, you can email me, or PM me, and I will be happy to look into it. But crying censorship is poor form before you know the facts.

whoa shelly!

First... let me say, everyone needs a vacation from every job, and this one is no different... so take some time off. You WILL be back... I mean don't i pretty much dissapear at least once a year for a few months?  I have to do that to keep my sanity!  

Problem is, as much as you may want to leave, this place is like a virus, it gets in your blood and you can't get rid of it... so... see ya when you get back from vacation sweety!

I can relate... I relenquished my mod status for those very reasons. Sometimes I wish I hadn't but I think it was in everybody's best interests... I have kind of a quick trigger finger.
mad.gif

good thing we don't use ' triggers '. And mallets leave no permenant marks... hehh...
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RamPuppy @ Dec. 09 2003,11:58)]Problem is, as much as you may want to leave, this place is like a virus, it gets in your blood and you can't get rid of it... so... see ya when you get back from vacation sweety!
Aint that the truth...
laugh.gif
I left my little speach in the College topic. Yeah! and I take off time for the winter...what a flop of a topic that was.
unclesam.gif
Just like a politition say one thing, do another.

Travis

Unknown,

I must agree that they way mods are treated around here is unfair. They have a job to do, LET THEM DO IT!!!!!

A world without some control is anarchy! Come on! It is not that bad around here.

Unknown, I hope you will not leave the forum. Take a break and hopefully we will see you soon.

This may speak more to the person(s) who made an error in judgement in his/her posts than to others.  I do not know if you will read this post, but I do know what it feels like to be in the position you have placed yourself into.  I to placed myself into a similar situation at the beginning of this year.  I hope that maybe you will head my warning and understand my main points.  

First and foremost, this forum is owned by a private individual who has every right to set up whatever rules he would like to.  He has entrusted the forum to individuals to make decisions in accordance to the rules he has set up.  Phil had the savvy to start this forum, which has developed in a great place to exchange ideas.  Even though you may not agree with every post, every rule, or every decision made by a moderator, this is not the appropriate place to voice this publicly.    

Secondly, after taking my lumps and working things out with Phil, I decided to take a vacation from the forum.  I found that this hobby is definitely not as exciting and very lonely without this great place to ask questions and exchange ideas.  I had to make a decision; did I want to continue to be stubborn (and selfish in many respects) and not continue to be an active member, or, did I want to suck up my pride, abide by the rules set forth, and come back to being an active member.  Every day I am looking up posts, answering questions, and communicating with others reinforces my decision.  Even though I might not participate in every thread or agree with every person’s opinion, I keep this to myself, because the alternative helps no one.

The point of the matter is this.  I hope you agree to follow the rules set for this forum, and allow the moderators to do their job (and they do a very good job).  I hope you will not make rash decisions, or post anything while emotions run high.  I know for myself, that I do not think clearly when I get angry, and that I should not be posting any messages if I am, such as a time I did so before.  This is a great place for people to network about carnivorous plants.  I appeal to you not to embroil the forum in controversy just to prove a point.  

And with that, I will end.  I already violated my resolution since I have been back.  To stay out of Terra Forums politics!

Shelly, I hope you do decide to stick with the forum.  From what I hear of how much you mean to everyone, it would be a shame to have you leave.  I have never met your personally, or spoken to you directly, but from the good works you do in this forum, you would greatly be missed.

*CRY*  There goes another female and a bud.   There aren't enough females here as it is!  
sad.gif
 I wish you wouldn't go.  You're a great mod and it won't be the same without you around.  I hope you miss it and end up back soon.  
sad.gif

Yeah it sucks to do your job and get criticized for it.  Maybe all of the mods need a vacation and the members can moderate themselves since we seem to suck at it.  
rock.gif

I guess I don't see "free speech" as meaning its ok to say anything to anybody on a PUBLIC internet forum.  There have to be SOME rules to the structure since you're talking a wide range of AGES, races, religions, cultures, locations, personalities, etc. (not to mention liability issues).

My personal opinion is...I consider part of free speech as being civility, kindness, humor, understanding, helpfulness, tact and thoughtfulness.  So no, as far as these public forums go, I'll never see cruelty, meanness, humiliation, racism, vulgarity, or personal attacks to be acceptable speech.

Yes...there are all kinds of words that you are FREE to speak...but I believe the heart should be your guide as to whether you SHOULD speak them publicly...or not.  I can "censor" my OWN speech so that I never hurt someone carelessly or needlessly.

Ah well.  We'll miss you Shelly.  I'm sorry you feel you have to go.  
sad.gif
 But I can understand why you feel the way you do.

I am going to add to this.  I am not trying to anger or offend anyone.  I am going to try to explain somethings as I see them.  This is not direct toward anyone in general.

censorship - What does this mean?

a : the institution, system, or practice of censoring
b : the actions or practices of censors

censor -
1 : one of two magistrates of early Rome acting as census takers, assessors, and inspectors of morals and conduct
2 : one who supervises conduct and morals: as a : an official who examines materials (as publications or films) for objectionable matter b : an official (as in time of war) who reads communications (as letters) and deletes material considered sensitive or harmful
3 : a hypothetical psychic agency that represses unacceptable notions before they reach consciousness

Censorship is yelled a lot.

We can take this in two ways.  First, It can be taken to mean that the mods only allow for a certain train of thought.  You must agree with them, as a whole, or your opinion will not be allowed.  It says that the mods do away with a post because of the idea it portrays.  I have not seen this.  As a mtter of fact I have seen the mods disagree, in a friendly and adult manner, with each other.

Or we can take it the second way, "an official who examines materials (as publications or films) for objectionable matter."  Some may think that this is a statement of thought that is off of the main stream.  But is it possible that it is a statement that may start and argument and cause bad feelings among the members eventhough it was not meant it that manner?  Something that could be taken as personal?  Could it be the stopping of statements that could be considered offensive or argumentative?

It all comes down to your opinion, doesn't.

I believe that mods here are acting in the second manner.  I have seen some argumentative, offensive and annoying post here.  These are done by the few and someone must be able to step in say "stop, whoa, wait a minute, I can see that this post is going to cause some problems."  Some of you out there are probably getting a little up tight right now thinking, hey, that's my right of free speech your walking on.  As an officer I can inform you that there is not as much free speech allowed by law as you think.  Your right of free speech stops at offending others.  Now how can that be!  What about demonstrations?  Demonstrations are held in areas that others that do not want to hear that specfic opinion can easily avoid the demonstration.  They also must be applied for or it can be considered illegal.  Demonstrations are controlled.  A topic can be addressed, but it can not turn to purposely offending.  The control is still there. Well, can't the topic be avoided here?  Not really.  This forum is like a room that is crowded with people.  It is a meeting place.  I see, "well, if you don't like it you can just ignore", but that is not true.  I find myself avoiding the general discussion area too much.  Hey, I'm missing some good stuff to ignore some annoying and offensive post.

First and foremost we must always take into consideration the feelings of other before speaking (posting), but being human beings, this does not always happen.  This is and must be a controlled area to some degree.  It is the mods job to step in and contol post to the end of keeping the peace.  Sometimes they might jump the gun, but they too are human.  The mods job is more difficult then some of you are going to believe.  They have to step on toes and often anger others.  They must face the fact that some will not like them.  They are doing us a service. They are to be thanked.  I thank you and I have seen post by others that thank you.  Censorship is not necessarily evil or wrong and sometimes it is a necessary evil.  I am alowed my freedom of speech, but I try (most of the time) to take into consideration the feelings of other before letting the words fly.  This does not mean I can not speak, but means that I will be careful in chosing my words.  

Hey UNC, you are in good company.  I have been called a Nazi (I am not) so many times this month I am going to have to learn how to goose-step.  Welcome and let it bounce off.  In my case they see the uniform, in your case, the mod.  They are not attacking the person.  They do not know you.  I would be proud to know you.

If the mods see erason to delete, go right ahead:laugh:

Back