Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Acceptable Use

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huh, I definitely can't bring they're name back up... well, because I don't even know who it was. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] But, then again I don't care to know who it is. LOL

Later
    Wes [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif[/img]
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I think there is commentary somewhere on the internet about a couple who witnessed a park ranger pulling baby monkeys out of a nepenthes once...
    but that is not the point of this topic! (Start a new one.)
    Since his suggestion was ignored to start a new topic I did it for you. If you want to post anything else about what nepenthes eat, please do it here
    Thank you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bumping.... I don't want to pin this just yet, but I want everyone to see it. (I think many of us look over pinned topics assuming they are always the same.)
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heres an idea that may prevent people from doing things like that. How about putting a short "waiting period" (say 24-48 hours) between when a person signs up and when they can actually post. This will give you time to weed out the "known" offenders and also give newbies time to do some research on their own before posting the same repetitive questions.

Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yah,but then the people will cbe bored and leave,and never come back! 1-2 days is`nt a short time for a beginer. I`m speakin` from personel experience
    !
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (pond boy @ Dec. 14 2003,12:47)]Yah,but then the people will cbe bored and leave,and never come back! 1-2 days is`nt a short time for a beginer. I`m speakin` from personel experience
    !
    If you have a serious question, and you absolutely cannot find help anywhere else you will wait. OR better yet.. you will actually take the time to look it up for yourself. MOST newbie questions that get asked have been answered numerous times already on the board. People are just too lazy to bother to look. CPs are NOT an "instant gratification" hobby. Since you must learn patience to grow CPs, why not start the learning by waiting to post the first time?

Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just because some CPs require patience, does not mean that our boards also have to. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] The boards are here for people to interact and offer advice. For me, browsing during break time at work turned into a nearly full-time hobby of mine for the last year. If there was a waiting period to discuss, maybe I would have just moved on to the next thing. People are not always just "too lazy to look," this is often something said by people who think they know everything (not aimed at you, sorry). Many people do not know where to look. How can we help this? Maybe we can include a basic article on google searching. Maybe we can deal with sometimes repeating information. Maybe we can find some way to preserve important threads where useful information is present. But just tellling people to not be lazy and ifnd it themselves certainly doesn't inspire any feeling of community, and can certainly turn people away from the hobby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, the original post in this thread was in regards to someone who signed up on a very crude name and posted an extremely vulgar post aimed at one of our mods. If there had been a waiting period, this person would have been eliminated from the board before he ever had a chance to post his garbage here and try to spoil our community.

Quote[/b] ]For me, browsing during break time at work turned into a nearly full-time hobby of mine for the last year. If there was a waiting period to discuss, maybe I would have just moved on to the next thing.
    I don't understand why if you enjoyed reading the posts in the forum that much you would be inclined not to join if you had to wait a day or two to make your first post. After that you would be able to post at will just like any other member, and in the meantime you could continue to browse the boards and see even more what makes this such a wonderful group of people.

Quote[/b] ]People are not always just "too lazy to look," this is often something said by people who think they know everything (not aimed at you, sorry). Many people do not know where to look. How can we help this? Maybe we can include a basic article on google searching.
    What good is a pinned article on google searching if people dont bother to read it? You can pin every piece of good advice in the world, but if people dont read it, whats the point? Example: There is a very good care sheet pinned at the top of the VFT forum. You dont need any special skills to find it, its the very top thread on that board. Yet how many times do we see questions like: "What kind of water?" "How much light?" ect ect ect. These questions are answered in the care sheet, and its right at the top. Again it does no good if people dont take the time to read it.

Quote[/b] ]But just tellling people to not be lazy and ifnd it themselves certainly doesn't inspire any feeling of community, and can certainly turn people away from the hobby.
    I am not telling anyone "not to be lazy". I have no problem at all helping out with any question I can answer. I just feel that a lot of the simple questions that get asked could be avoided with just a little bit of self searching. And while you search, you get the benefit of seeing posts made by other members and get a chance to see first hand just what a great community we do have here. I believe that will motivate people even more to want to join in so they too can be part of the best dang CP forum around.

Steve

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast