Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Things that plants have eaten

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

Since there was so much intrest in things that have been found in Nepenthes I thought I would start this topic.
    I'll move some of the posts from that topic here since it was a little off topic there.

droseradude
    this isnt my pic

Group: Members

Posted: Dec. 10 2003,6:10

Ahem. . . you forgot to say "MONKEY eating flora"
    Actually, have neps devoured monkeys before?
    --------------

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RamPuppy
    Administrator / Sales and Customer Service

Group: Administrators

Posted: Dec. 10 2003,6:18

I think there is commentary somewhere on the internet about a couple who witnessed a park ranger pulling baby monkeys out of a nepenthes once...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pond boy
    Copper head snake bitten boy!

Posted: Dec. 10 2003,8:22

That was in "the savage garden" I believe.,
    --------------
    Darn owls!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    goldtrap2690
    Feed your plants or else this happens

Posted: Dec. 10 2003,8:53

My uncle saw a guide pulling out rats and large insect out of the nepenthes pitchers when he was on mt. kinabalu , but i don't know if i ever remembered hearing him say anything about monkeys in the pitchers . i do remember however , about a person saying here on the forums that a park ranger pulled out baby monkeys out of nepenthes pitchers , some dead some still alive and the tourist were very upset and engrossed about it .:O

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heres a quote from The Savage Garden by Peter D'Amato, yeah like Pondboy said: (xiv) ". . . They told me with glee how they had recently returned from Malaysia, where they saw magnificent Nepenthes at a botanical garden. "We arrived early," the wife told me, "and we waited in line at the front gate. I peered through the fence, and saw these huge pitcher plants hanging in the trees. To my shock, an attendant was pullingtiny baby monkeys out of the traps! Most were alive, and scampered away. The dead ones he dropped in a pail. Her husband added that when they later caught up with the attendant and asked him what he was doing, the emmbarrassed attendant explained that dead monkeys in the pitcher plants were upsetting to the tourists."

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That makes sence, many primates are very very small, with adults smaller than rats, babies would be very easy prey (although I would think the mom would pull the babies out so they probubly where very small adults like Tamerins(sp?) or something).

My plants:
    Little gulp (Ventricosa) ate a HUGE! moth (I don't know how the thing even got past the waist in the trap), the moth got moldy. Then Little Gulp ate the mold! ROFL! Seriously, I watched it do it, it uped the juice and the mold just got digested along with the remaining moth parts! (was an old trap so I desided to watch what happened rather than remove the moth)

Sundewlings(before the horible mass death this spring) had this weird cycle going on with a fungi. The fungi would grow over them and they would dry out, then they would make new dewy leaves and eat the fungi. The fungi would eventually recover and dry them out and they cycle would continue... it was my attempts at killing the fungi that killed my seedlings :P

VFT's like betamax fish food [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I can't remember where I read it now, but somewhere I read that that monkey story is a myth. One of those "urban legends" only I guess you'd call it a "jungle legend". I mean, really...think about it. Baby monkey's aren't natural prey to a nepenthes; monklettes would have to be pretty small to fit in even a large pitcher and the little babies spend most of their time clinging to their mothers; just how many baby monkeys (all the same age/size small enough to fit in a pitcher) do you think there would be at one time that would land in so many pitchers that someone would have to go clean the pitchers out... in one small area like that? C'mon!

That's not to say odd things don't on rare occasions end up in pitchers, but I think its erroneous to say "Neps have been known to eat baby monkeys" like it happens all the time. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif[/img]

In my opinion, that monkey story is "spin" for tourists.

Hmmm...all of a sudden I want a banana... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Say it enough times and the monkey myth will come true sooner or later in someones mind. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] I am sure a N. Rajah could handle a baby monkey but not sure if they live together.

Travis
    \"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.\"
    -- Oscar Wilde

http://www.nasarracenia.org/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast