What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pls help all my plants are...

i think its spider mites, we don't have joy dishwashing liquid here in singapore so i can't do the "shock and awe" method.
are there any non-chemical ways to cure this? i have tried a few pesticides and they don't work...
also can you drown them since they are insects?
my VFTs and neps have got it already...
help!

do you have a type of soap called Dawn ? it might be ok to use as it is used to help clean up animals during oil spills and has proved to be harmless .

does soap get rid of mites? i live in singapore so i don't know what that is.
will alchohal alone kill the mites?
what else kill the mites?

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>My favorite non-toxic method is to use "cinnamon oil". I put a drop or two of  cinnamon oil into an ounce or two of pure water, shake it up vigorously, than put the mixture into a small spray bottle or atomizer and then spritz it onto the affected leaves at least once per day, be careful not to miss any likely hiding places for the pests. Do this for about two weeks. This was successful for me on more than one infestation.

Spider mites are not "insects", they are arachnids, same family as spiders, ticks, mites, and scorpions.

BTW cinnamon oil is said to also have antifungal properties.</span>

what if you submerge the plants for a while?
i bought some Captan, will it work?
also any other ways of curing?

Hi wezx,

What do people in Singapore use to wash their dishes? When you go to the supermarket it does not sell bottles of dish washing soap?

Bobby

Hi wezx. Captan is just a fungicide as far as i know. I don't think it has any pesticides in it. I can't think of any non-chemical ways to treat your problem. I believe orthene is systemic pesticide and if they sell it in Singapore, it could help your problem. Systemic means the chemical remain in the plant's sap for many weeks thereby killing any pest that sucks the sap during that time. The only problem is that it takes about a week to begin circulating. As long as you mix the chemical correctly and use one that is safe for cps your plants should be safe.

-buckeye

Back