What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aphids!!

Hello,
Yesterday I purchased a S. purpurea 'venosa' at a local nursery. Quite a big plant to, not anything like a Lowes or Home Depot half dead....anyways, this morning to my horror I found aphids, and lots of them. They seem to be enjoying the new growth. Now, the first thing that came into mind was wipe out all of them as quickly as possible. So I located and destroyed as many as possible, manually. Now, to get the remaining aphids, should I:

A. soak the entire plant in water from 1 to however many days
B. use a organic aphid killer 'safer' dilluted to half power
C. I dont know any other ideas, I've never had a problem before!
Thanks alot,
Kevin

I always fear to grow plants aquatically, somes plants are responding badly to this, esp the weak one (even when the species use to do well under water). For massive aphids attacks, I used to rinse the plants under water heavily (if the plants can hold this), remove the rest of aphids in small places of fragiles places with a brush & rubbing alcohol, and then I apply an homemade insecticide which recipe can be found here !
Good luck with them, they are so far the most common pest I am conflicted with, but they are, hopefully, easily cleaned up too.

I agree with Tom - not all of us are as cool as Tamlin and can grow aquatically for weeks on end! What I've done is the manual wipe and squish, then an underwater thing for two days. Rinse, repeat. If you're lucky, that will work. If not, go for the chemical weaponry
tounge.gif

Hey,
Thanks everybody. I decided to manually squish and swab with a very small amount of rubbing alchohol. I haven't seen any tonight, as I did it this morning. In a few minutes I'm going to put it in a bucket of water until Wednesday. I hope that it will do well. Thanks again,
Kevin

Back