What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the weirdest plant you've ever grown?

What is the strangest plants you've ever grown or see in cultivation? By browsing few web sites yesterday, I've found a plant named a bat plant (Tacca sp) which is a very intresting plant with a beautiful and curious flower that my little dark side cannot ignore
smile.gif
Wow! It is a curious flower with kind of 'label' coming out of it on several inches... Anyway a picture would do better than my poor description, you can easily find it on google.com search engine...

This is leading me to look to others weirds plants... So what is your strangest plant you've ever see/grow?

The wierdest that I grow is A.konjac.

I just found a pic of the bat plant (Tacca chantrieri) And it's really cool looking.

7338.jpg

Love bat plants! hard to find and difficult to get to flower from what I hear. Anywho, wierdest Non-CP's I grow are mimosa, arums (D. vulgaris, A. triphyllum, S. venosum, S. foetidus.) and I'd have to say lady slipper orchids (Cypripedium acaule)

I love taccas!  I think they are awsome...I like both the black and the prized white ones.  But I'm not sure I could grow it here...I can't remember their requirements but I believe they are tropicals so no cold weather.  And I think they get too big for pots.

Well my personal favorite is the firefern (Oxalis hedyroides rubra) ...I've mentioned them here before.  Its not exactly "wierd" but has a neat feature to it.  It is a small, pretty Brazilian plant with triangular burgundy-red leaves and bright yellow flowers.  If you turn the plant or change the light direction, you can see the leaves swivel like little solar panels back towards the light.  Pretty cool.  Fascinates me! Another "moving" plant. And yes Larry...they DO move...I swear!  lol  
biggrin.gif
I'll try to get a pic up.

I have in the past grown the stinky stapelia...their flowers are just spectacular.  But they do stink...badly!  
wow.gif

Other than that...I can't think of anything very wierd.  Maybe I need to find something wierd to add to my collection.  
smile.gif

My favorite weird one is the Voodoo Lily, Sauromatum venosum. I got A. konjac too, but I've never seen it flower. I think the Aristolochiodes are pretty weird. Gotta love the weird stuff!

That bat plant is awesome, but i never grew it because I heard germination is hard and can take forever too.

Germination is about 24 months I think... It's long, but I think it would be the only way I could get one in Canada! But when you think of it, it isn't very much longer than few tuberous Drosera species... And as usual, plants grown from seeds are more rewarding, and more important, more suited to your growing conditions...

PAK: They need pretty similar condition than tropical CP I think, moist all the time, with 'hot' temperatures, just like lowland Nepenthes.

I have seen Taccas for sale on eBay...including white ones which are hard to find.

I don't know if I could cram one more plant into my house. Well.....maaaaaaaaaaaybe. Seems like you can always cram "just one more" in.
smile.gif

Weird plants?
rock.gif
Never heard of any such thing....cool plants are a different story though....my ood plants is probably that common foliage plant(corn plant) they sell everywhere....the plant iss not weird but the flower fragrance is! EXTREEMLY potent....overpowering actualy....if you get to close you will have a headache......

Well none now that cps are out of the loop...
wow.gif
Ozzy that is a wicked flower.
cool.gif

Hey,
I would have to say mimosa. Thats an awesome tacca!! I'll have look into that plant....
Kevin

Weirdest plants I grow is Sphagnum moss. First it's a pile of dirt then it's green stringy things growing all over my pots.

That Bat plant is too cool,(thanx for the pic, Ozzy) I had no idea flowers came in black. I don't think a white version would be as dramatic, black is more beautiful if you ask me.

there are black tulips, black roses, black irises...

That tacca is absolutely amazing , yet creepy . HHm , weird plants i grow , porbably evrything , i got amorphophallus konjac , sauromatum venosum , mimosa pudica , aristolochia elegans , tillandsias , stapelias , citrosa mosquito reppeling plants , telegraph plants , trigger plants , lithops , paphipedellum orchid , 4 leaf clovers , resserection plants , and porbably more

Back