What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Career Ideas?

• Thread starter PepsiFreak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    carnivorous
P

PepsiFreak

I would like to know if there are any jobs that deal with carnivorous plants...I have to start thinking about my future now
biggrin.gif
. Thanx for any help!

You could go into botany and taxonomy and study CPs.
smile.gif
Maybe you will be the one to figure out the taxonomic nightmare of some droserae.

There is also horticulture...maybe you could run your own nursery.

Good luck!

Suzanne

I'm looking into horticulture. Some day I'll be my own nursury man with a huge ghouse filled with Nepenthes. (well a dream at the moment)
wink.gif

I think it would be really cool to start a CP landscaping company! Everything would have to be in in the ground bogs.  Mixes of sarrs, vfts, sundews and ultrics could be put in the bogs. You would have to teach the customers how take care of the cps since they are higher maintenance than shrubs and bushes or you could also offer a service where the company comes out once or twice a week and takes care of them. I think this could be a possible business!

-buckeye

I'm looking for 2 gardeners right now and apart from about a million orchids I also have some Nepenthes. Unfortunately the pay isn't too good!

Cheers, Troy.

I want my house to be a highland terrarium. N. rajah in your room, N. burbidgeae in your bathroom, N. villosa sitting on the kitchen table!
laugh.gif

Might get cold at night, Nep G. But that's basically what my house is.. I open the window at night, and it gets down to 6 or 7 in the house, and in the terrarium. Always gotta remember to wear those socks at night.

I was just reading about a man that started a pondscaping business in INC.
for those of you that dont know thats a business mag.
Anyway This guy started in 1990 and was grossing over 44 million in sales by 2000, I forget his name I do remember that he copyright the name the Pond Guy or something like that. It was a neat article definately worth reading fro any  aspiring business owner.

Check out www.Inc.com you should be able to find it there.

I'll have a story coming up in the Conservation Forum about a trip to a cp site in South Carolina.
I was given a tour by the game warden. His job is to look after the site and enforce the laws. He told me he had a degree in botany. I would love to have his job. Maybe you could think about a job doing something like that.

Thanx for all the great idea's! i'll be sure to look into them!
biggrin.gif

Well, I make my living as a manager of horticulture at a large botanical garden and I feel very fortunate to be able to work with CP as part of my job. I love reading all or your ideas. This list is full of young people with a real passion for plants and that is a fantastic start.

It is important for me to tell you that I am not rich from horticulture, in fact most of my good friends from college who went into computers or business or... make more money then me. HOWEVER, I LOVE WHAT I DO. I look forward to work (well, most mornings anyway!) I am not stuck behind a desk and I can walk into the jungle even when it's snowing outside.

I make a comfortable living, I have three kids, I own a house, I have health insurance and a retirement plan. So, I feel very fortunate to be where I am.

My advice? Pick your profession first for what you love, not the cash it may promise. Go to college. Stay there for your masters or you doc if you can. If you really like plants, there are some very rewarding positions out there. Some even let you play with CP!
smile.gif

Steve LaWarre

Im quickly covering every counter top in the house
with lights and CP's i plan never to stop till i cant aford going any futher =>

Back