What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Music

Backatcha, Snowy!

So who in the world is buying all those Brittany albums? I think it's just a ClearChannel conspiracy, myself.

I don't dig old fart music, but I think it's pretty reliable to say that the Beatles are one of the greatest bands ever. Props to Johny Cash, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Cat Stevens, Pat Benetar (a little dated now, though), okay, I'll stop before I just list a chronological list of great singer/bands.

How about revolutionaries? There is too much great music, but so much is just copied (and I don't want to debate the whole "Good artists borrow, great artists steal" thing). I'm talking about originality:

the Beatles (mostly late Beatles)
CCR
the Doors
Janis Joplin
Ozzy with Black Sabbath
REM
Pearl Jam (debatable, but hey...)
Eminem (this one guy changed the face of rap and pop culture)
the Cure
Primus
Danzig
Green Day (huh?)
Toad the Wet Sprocket
of coarse The Dead
the Smiths
Led Zeplin
Pink Floyd
Jimi Hendrix (I was forgetting the basics)
The Chemical Brothers
the Beastie Boys
the Violent Femmes (way ahead of their time)
Bob Marley
I've never heard of anything by them, but my buddy Adam says Pavement.

I think one of the most important trends lately has been the feminine movement within the music industry. Women have been traditionally overlooked or just taken advantage of. Women of extreme importance (politically as well as musically) are Ani DeFranco, Tori Amos, Sarah Machalan, and the Indigo Girls. What makes these women so amazing isn't just that they are taking a stance agains corporate music and making a statement about our culture, but they are awesome musicians and very creative artists. Sadly, rumor has it that Lilith Fair will be no more. Hopefully something will come in to take its place.

One of my personal favorites that no one seems to have heard of is Turin Brakes. They just came out with their second album.

jason

I guess FTG is busy with school back in session. Oh well, she'll just have to catch up.
Isn't music great, though? Such a powerful force.

Among my all-time faves:

Drive-By Truckers
Slobberbone
Blind Melon
Steve Earle
David Allan Coe
Johnny Cash
Merle Haggard
Wilco
Mulehead
Hum
Pearl Jam
Smashing Pumpkins
Saigon Kick
Oasis
Nada Surf
Silverchair

My absolute favorite; "The Chairman of the Board"  He wasn't given that name for nothing.  I met Sinatra three times...he has class and style...something that none of our current entertainers have and an attribute that is sorely lacking in general society today.

Latin jazz, Samba, Salsa...that is real soul music.  If you can sit still when listening to Sergio Mendez...you are dead.  You just gotta' grab your honey and dance.  His lead female singer, when I saw him, was introduced as a  "wiskey drinkin' cigar smoking, man haten' Carioca" who had a voice that would shatter your drink glass in the back row.

Antonio Carlos Jobim...what can I say except...:
blues.gif

I am primarily into punk (real punk though not that new wave GAP punk.) And if I have to listen to the radio it is usually set to a rock/alternative station.

Favorite Bands:

Strung Out
Millencolin
No Use For A Name
Pennywise
Lagwagon
Ten Foot Pole
Face To Face
Samiam
Goldfinger
Sublime
Pully
Shpongle
Dire Straits

(and yes I know those last two are not punk.)

My little but could be a long list of bands/music:

Green Day
Motely Crue
Old Metalica
Offspring
Esham
Beastie Boys
Kool Moe Dee
Ice Cube
Da Yoopers
Etherimics
John Cash
Tom Petty
AC/DC
Guns-N-Roses - Welcome to the Jungle
John Lee Hooker
Prince
Rocky Horror Pircture Show Soundtrack

I have more but who is going to want to read all of them anywho.
Travis
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (swords @ Jan. 02 2004,16:01)]I love heavy metal!
Especially bands like: Manowar, Venom, Black Sabbath, DIO, Mercyful Fate/King Diamond, Bathory, Onslaught, WASP, Akira, Celtic Frost, Sodom, At War, Exciter, Iron Maiden (old), Death SS/Sylvesters Death, AC/DC (old), Gamma Ray, Running Wild, Grave Digger, etc...
All of those....I am slightly into Death metal
(Mainly Slipknot...but none of their songs that focus mainly on the non sensical grunts)
And Black Metal..Disturbed,Iced Earth,Drowning pool

but Mainly good old heavy rock everything from Metallica to Iron maiden and yes even Rammstein
Can't live without-
Black Sabbath, Smashing Pumpkins, Greenday, Slipknot, Metallica, Iced Earth, Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, Rammstein, Guns and Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Bon Jovi, Meatloaf, Slayers, Lynard Skynard, Blues Brothers, ZZ top, Pantera, DIO, etc, etc, etc

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot White Snake, Scorpions, Charlie Daniels band, and of course Johnny Cash...
Also for some reason I love Celtic music... Bagpipes and Violins especially

Edit:Edit: gah...too many... Billy Idol (My mother loved him because of his snarl lol) and Danzig...And Van Halen! and any other 70's-90's heavy metal-Heavy rock you want to add...like Pink Floyd or Twisted little sister

E:E:E: Judas Priest and the Beastie Boys and
System of A down

Don't hold yourself back Sliz.  Add some more
laugh.gif
!  I like Celtic music and songs, and will listen to any type of music or band at least once.  I usually listen to clasical music on the radio.  They don't repeat the same music/songs all day long.  I like the old 60's and 70's groups best.  Paul Revere and the Raiders, The Who, Roy Orbison, Chet Atkins, Weird Al Yankovic (did you know his dad played the accordian too?), The Doors, etc.

smile.gif

BCK

The sound of a fly struggling to get out of a flytrap is music to my ears......

other plesant sounds include jazz and classical to good old bands like Korn, Manson, Nirvana, and the rage filled screams of Eminem......
laugh.gif

Now I just know all this Kenny Chesney talk has me in mind! The lovesick Kenny-Chesney-lunatic is baaaaaaaaaaaaaack! WHOO!!! I'll tell you why I was off so long in a new topic in a sec.. You should've seen me last night, guys!! I looked at the TV guide (thank Almighty God I did) and what did I see but THREE STRAIGHT HOURS OF KENNY CHESNEY STUFF!!!!!!!! Whoo.. sorry about that.. I swear, when I called up my best friend, she later told me I yelled "OHMYGAWDGUESSWHAT" about eight times... I swear, I was so giddy about this that I couldn't eat my dinner..

The first hour was a concert, second hour was a behind-the-scenes type thing (that was the most entertaining thing in the world... I'll never go into a Waffle House again without thinking of it
wink.gif
) and the third thing was something else.. anywho, my mom called up in the middle of the first hour wanting me to record another copy of everything for her.. hehe. Believe it or not, we are both devoted Kenny Chesney fans, and I found that out only a few months ago. LOL.. okay, I think I've given you enough of an earful.. Now this taped three hours will add to the accumulation of Kenny stuff that I put in the VCR and watch for the umpteenth multiple times every week. *drool*

Welcome back, FTG!

Thankies...

Gee whiz, did I tell you who my favorite artist is yet? LOL!

Flytrapgurl, you are getting drool all over the forum!! Stop it!!!!! I love a wide range of music, from Hendrix to Garth Brooks, the Judds, Aerosmith, all of it! But I play Bottleneck blues and Delta blues, and fingerpicking folk tunes. Also a little ragtime guitar. Hope to play guitar with you someday, Tamlin. Good growing all!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Feb. 03 2004,05:18)]Flytrapgurl, you are getting drool all over the forum!! Stop it!!!!!
ROTFLOL! Well, you get used to it after a while... hey, just keep me away from Kenny stuff on TV and you won't see any drool for a while.. just white spots in front of your eyes after I knock you unconscious
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lavenderdawn @ Jan. 03 2004,19:52)]I'm listening to classic Simon & Garfunkel right now.  Earlier I had on Joni Mitchell.  My Joan Baez cd's are in the car or I'd put them on, too.  (I have plenty in the house, though.)  Also, Bobbie Dylan.  Then, of course, there's the finest guitarist in the universe, IMHO, my own personal minstral with whom I share this house & my life.  (but not my computer!)
Kenny Chesney, nope, never heard him, either.  (Now where did that FTG go?)   *looks around expectantly*    
tounge.gif
Bobbie Dylan??
rock.gif
Please tell me you mean Bob Dylan.
laugh.gif

I like the following;
THE DIXIE CHICKS (OK I GUESS EVERYBODY ALREDY KNOWS THAT LOL.00
ShEdAiSY
HOMETOWN NEWS
HANK JUNIOR
HANK THE 3RD
CHRIS LEDUX
GARTH BROOKS
LITTLE TEXAS
JOHN MELANCAMP
BEAR CREEK GIRLS
CAROLINE DAWN JOHNSON
KEVIN DENNY
PAT GREENE
CLEDUS T. JUDD
THE KINLEYS
JODEE MESSINA
ANTHONY SMITH
TIFFT MERRIT
SANIA TWAIN
KENNY CHESNEY
GEORGE STRAIT
GEORGE JONES

And lots more I cant think of!

FTG,your lucky my mom hates the music I listen to,and I hate the music she listens to!

*stares with a blank look for a second* What are you talking about? You like Country.. your signature says it. Right there. In print. So really your post makes no sense..

Well, she loves rock too, but she got into Country because of Kenny Chesney
cool.gif

...all by herself, in case you're wondering
biggrin.gif

Greetings,
           FTG, a.k.a. lovesick Kenny-Chesney-lunatic

P.S. Got a new Country Weekly in the mail today and KENNY ON THE COVER!!!!! WHOOOOOOO!!! *dances around like an idiot*

How does my post make no sense? My mom hates "new" country and I hate most of the classical music she listens to_Or are you saying that I`m hypocryte because I like JOHN MELANCAMPs music as well as country?
rock.gif

Back