What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Importing seeds

I'm 90% sure it is, but I read a site recently that stated that their entire Sarr collection was from seed obtained via P. Wilson's site. http://www.pwilson.demon.co.uk/ Is it legal to import seeds? I sure would like a crack at some of those plants!

SF

On certain plants perhaps, but I've recieved Nepenthes seed before overseas with no problems.

Really? Hmmm... this is sounding better and better. What did you do about import permits and stuff like that? Are they necessary?

SF

Nope no import permit or anything. Just came right in just fine. Maybe I was lucky, or you don't require import permits for seeds. I am not a person to ask about imports. Tony would know for sure.

There are conflicting reports....but the icps send seeds internationally all the time!

We tend to sometimes overlook the technicalities, after all a small packet of seed in a letter would be hard to find BUT the facts are the facts.

I spent a week going from phone referral to phone referral to answer this question. The answer hasn't changed.

To receive or send ANY seed or plants including TC'd material, requires a permit and phytosanitary certificate *bare minimum*, and possibly other permits from the FDA and Fish and Wildlife management. Inquiry must be made mentioning specific species, and they will let you know what you need.

Most likely, the world will turn as it will, and seed will be sent and received as it always has been, but you should be aware that it is not legal without the proper paperwork, and there are possible fines if the material is intercepted.

Personally, I have never had any problems with customs getting or sending seed, but the potential exsists

Well then, I'd rather have a collection obtained legally, then one that has slipped through customs. Thanks Tamlin!

SF

So hypothetically, Person 'A' sending to Person 'B' in another country needs to comply with their national law; meanwhile Person 'B' in anticipation of the mailed plant material also needs to comply with their national law? With the various governments involved, this could get very complicated... Somebody should think about standardizing procedures internationally.
smile.gif

With the way government things work, then you would probably just have to comply with three regulations.
wink.gif

Ahere are restrictions on importing seeds into the USA, but not out of the USA. As I regularly import seed and plants from the USA, only CITES and phyto are required for the plants themselves.

Mike,

I thought CITES applied to seeds of listed varieties also... Am I mistaken?

smile.gif

Sorry Mike, but that is incorrect. I went through all sorts of people until I found someone with answers, and they informed me that even in order to send seed on the hobbiest level, documentation must be in place: no exceptions.

Yes you guys are right. CITES I listed seed has restrictions, but not for CITES II or III..

Thanks for that!

Back