Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Halogen lighting?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

I have recently gotten involved in CPs and own a VFT. I have seeds for drosera capensis and plan on having them share a 10 gallon glass tank in separate pots. Except when the VFT is cooling down in the winter. I have been growing the VFT in a small plastic fishbowl courtesy of **********.com. I have been using distilled water and a 20w halogen desk lamp. My biggest question is about lighting. My VFT has been doing VERY well under the halogen light. I have not been able to find any literature on halogens and terrariums, only flourescent. I would rather use the desk lamp because of its size and height adjustment. Heat is not much of an issue due to the distance I keep the bulb from the plant. Has anyone heard anything bad about such lamps for photosynthesis?
    \"It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.\"
    UP THE IRONS!!! (www.ironmaiden.com)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well. . . I'd say just about everyone uses flourescent for artificial lighting. They make desk lamps with compact flourescent bulbs too, by the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard that the spectrum is not correct for plant growth, but it appears your VFT hasn't read that report. Personally, I use flourescent grow tubes mainly, although I also run a MH/HPS lighting system as well. For your space considerations I recommend 1 cool white, 1 full spectrum 4 foot shoplight set up.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a compact fluorescent bulb going over my collection (at least the part of it not currently dormant). I've gotten good results with it. It's also insanely cheap ($15-$20 for the lighting setup, and that's just b/w the bulb and a little clip on lamp [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]).
    The Best Part About Being a Sociopath is Never Having to Say You're Sorry.