What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Digtal Cameras

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I had my complimentary earthlink digital camera unearthed and decided to install the software. Uncharacteristic to my gender I read the instructions and successfully installed it. My first attempt to take a picture were the sleeping VFT's. Incredibly, I got a picture. Unfortunately, it was blurry. That was from a few inches away. This wasn't surprising because the instructions say to take them from 3-7' away. But they looked SO far away! Then I took the camera to work and tried to take some pics that were 3' away as well as through a magnifying glass. Got 'em downloaded but they, too, were blurry. Also tried to send them as an attachment to my wife on her account, but I couldn't figure out where they were stored. Things done on Microsoft Word, that are stored in My Documents, are straightforward, but I have no idea how to retrieve these blurry pics. Can someone help me? Also, what distance works with such small plants, particularly my spat clumps?

If the camera was free from earthlink, I'm sure that it's a very cheap camera. I'm sorry to say that I think the camera is not of good enough quality to take clear pics. I had a cheap digital a few tears ago, I think I paid like $80 for it. The only way to get a pic that any quality was to take it outside in full sun. Even then the pic was somewhat blurry.
I'm not sure what to tell you about how to retrieve them.

Jim,
sounds like the camera is saving all the images to some obscure folder of its own, and not telling you where that is right?!

there is an easy way to find ALL files of the same type on your computer..
go to your search function for your computer..(usually found from the "start" button in the lower left corner of the screen)
search for *.jpg* to find all jpegs..
search for *.bmp* to find all bitmaps, etc..
include the stars..you actually want to type the stars in the search field..
I assume the images off the camera are probably jpegs..so *.jpg* should work..
If you have windows XP, you can view as thumbnails, which makes things easier..
otherwise sort the list by date, and you cand the images if you know the date they were taken on..
then make a note of the path, and that is where your camera hides the images!
then you can find them easily from then on..

Scot

Thank you! I'll try that.

(sigh) okay, here's something important to know about Word...

If you inserted the picture into a word file and then deleted the original .jpg or .gif, you can't really export it back from Word to a .jpg or .gif without doing some monkey business. So remember to save those image files once you find them.

Most cameras have you hold down the button halfway to focus, then you push it down all the way to snap the pic. I guess the instructions will tell you? My Sony beeps when it's focused.

Also see if you have a "macro" feature on the camera - it's not the same as "macro" on Word, its camera talk for the close-up feature so you can get closer to the subject. If it has a digital display the icon looks like a little flower.

tounge.gif

Hmmm... I'll have to study the instructions a little more closely. I am making progress, though. I DID find them in My Computer, in Program Files, where I found DSC Pro, where I found the photos. I was successful in sending a test pic to my wife, on her work account. Now I have to work on my picture taking skills and then getting them to PFT. Assuming that I will soon conquer the clarity skills, how do I send them to PFT? Thank you all for responding!

Heya jimscott,

When you post things on the internet, they must be "hosted" somewhere. Since you're already paying for Earthlink, I am certain you have an account with them. I believe when you go to your Earthlink homepage there's a webpage link somewhere on the top in the orange bar. My friend uses it but I can't remember specifics. You'll need a login and password, probably the same one that you signed up with. If you call them they can get you started. Once those pics are uploaded to the 'net, you can link to those pics and everyone will be able to see them.

Pop me an email if you need more help on the concepts. I can't help you much with your specific account since I don't know much about it. It's my job to teach this stuff
tounge.gif

Ozzy, you might be right! I've tried numerous indoor pics in good fluorescent lighting, from varying distances. Nothing is as good as I'd like it to be. You know what they say - "You get what you pay for." Maybe an oudoor shot will be an improvement. Anybody out there get one of those free Earthlink cameras?

Back