What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

a Jurassic Age tree

Just came across this interesting article of a recent discovery in Oz of a tree once thought long extinct.  For your further elucidation:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3139450.stm
tounge.gif

smile.gif
Cool! I like the look of them. I'll have to buy one.
tounge.gif

Ginkgo trees are also like "living fossils' but they weren't thought to have been extinct

Gingkos are very cool, too!  We have 4 of them in the park across the street from us - kind of surprising, I think, for our little town.  In fact, we got married beneath the largest male, they are very special to me.  For long memory.  
laugh.gif

The dawn Redwood was thought to be extinct prior to WWII when it was discovered in a remote Japanese Monastary where a male and female of the species were tended to by the monks there. Seeds were taken and the resulting trees distributed to various Universities here. The State University here in Oswego actually was selected to receive one of the trees, and so it is growing here on the campus. That story set the stage for the formation of my own beliefs regarding the need for humans to tend these endangered species. I hope that with more active CPer's arising we can keep these plants with us as a living gift to our children. CP cultivation is the most noble of all the aspects of horticulture in my opinion, because good growers are much like those monks. They knew how rare and precious those trees were, because they had high sensitivities to the pulse of Life, and I think CP'ers are like that: we see the rare as beautiful, and cherish it.

I have several Dawn Redwoods growing as bonsai,
I collected the seeds from a grove of them at the Royal Botanic Gardens in Hamilton, Ontario.

I have since disccovered several of them here in Rochester.
a very pretty tree! they lose all their needles in the winter.
they make excellent Bonsai.

Scot

I an article about this a long time ago...it's cool that it'll be available soon.I'll have to get one

I'm definitely gonna try to get one of those saplings! I'm sure the biology department at my university would also like one.
smile.gif

Back